Talk

Advanced search

Auden, Delphine, Corin, Anwen

(39 Posts)
Laquila Sun 02-Jun-13 09:42:24

We're struggling with names for a girl (we don't know what we're having but I'm convinced it's a girl!)

Could I please have your thoughts on the following?:

Auden
Delphine
Corin
Anwen

Any suggestions along similar lines greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

NowPlayingZone Sun 02-Jun-13 09:58:24

Delphine is beautiful
Prefer Corinne spelt like this
Not keen on others

Elquota Sun 02-Jun-13 10:57:41

Corin is my favourite of those, although I'd spell it Corinne. Anwen and Delphine quite nice. Auden too surnamey.

Jasmine
Megan
Eden
Robyn
Lauren
Christin
Caitlyn
Catrin
Ciara
Evelyn
Coralie
Imogen
Susan
Christine
Bethan
Erin
Jocelyn
Josephine
Tamsin
Madeleine

bootsycollins Sun 02-Jun-13 11:08:30

Never heard Auden before but I like it, Delphine and Anwen are lovely too, is Arwen Lord of the Rings? Arwens cool. Not too keen on Corin.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Sun 02-Jun-13 13:44:32

Isn't Vanessa Redgrave's brother called Corin? I would assume a Corin to be a boy, and pronounced with the emphasis on the beginning whereas Corinne would be the girl version surely?

I prefer Anwen of your list. Delphine is very flowery (no pun intended) might not suit a tomboy. Auden is a surname and I don't like them used as first names.

Laquila Sun 02-Jun-13 14:08:25

Thanks all, much appreciated.

I asked on here a week or two back re using Corin for a girl, and got a real mixture of responses as to whether people would assume it was a boy or girl (it's a unisex name). The thing with using a different spelling is that I can't be sure people would pronounce it as Corin (CO-rin) and for me it gets too confusing pronunciation-wise if you go for Corinne/Corinne.

I saw Auden in a book of unusual baby names yesterday and love it. I actually don't know anyone with it as a surname (other than WH, obviously) so don't really think of it as a surname, and am not too rigid abut the "rules" for that kind of thing anyway.

Delphine was our original first choice, but I know what you mean about it being quite girly, Birds.

Elquota I do like Coralie and Eden from your list. My name's on there too so I think that's encouraging!

squoosh Sun 02-Jun-13 14:50:10

Auden - W.H
Delphine - sounds like the name of a floozy from a 1970s sitcom (sorry!)
Corin - boy's name
Anwen - solid but not very pretty

My favourite would be Corin if it was spelt differently.

hellokitty123 Sun 02-Jun-13 15:40:04

I would pronounce
Corin as COR-in
Corinne as cor-INNE

Laquila Sun 02-Jun-13 16:10:51

Hellokitty, this is my problem! I like it (spelt however) pronounced CO-rin (rhymes with foreign) and I feel the best way to get to that is with the spelling Corin.

Ugh, I didn't realise girls name would be so much harder than boys!

JojoMags Sun 02-Jun-13 19:55:46

I always thought Corin was male - Corin Douglas off Radio 4. Its nice though and could work for a girl. Much nicer than Corinne. Auden sounds very masculine and think WH, not keen. Audrey is an obvious alternative. I don't like Delphine - 70s sitcom floozy is about right. Anwen is pretty.

MacCrackles Sun 02-Jun-13 20:24:26

Corinne was a strong contender for DD and I'd pronounce it to rhyme with foreign too. If I saw Corin written down I'd assume male. Hth.

ZolaBuddleia Sun 02-Jun-13 20:25:28

Love Delphine.

Leeds2 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:42:38

If I had to, I would choose Anwen. But I am not really keen on any of them, tbh. Sorry!

Laquila Sun 02-Jun-13 21:09:17

MacCrackles do you mind if I ask what you went for for your daughter if you decided against Corinne?

rockybalboa Sun 02-Jun-13 21:09:36

Delphine is pretty, v French though. Would also use Corinne, not Corin

MorphandChas Sun 02-Jun-13 23:47:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepingbeautiful Mon 03-Jun-13 08:33:13

Corin and Corinne are pronounced exactly the same, the latter being the girl version. I like it.
Auden I would expect to be a boy. It seems quite American too (surnamey, although I know that's getting popular in UK at the mo).
Anwen is nice, and there's a lot of similar Welsh or Cornish names if you don't feel it's quite right.
Delphine, meh.

hellokitty123 Mon 03-Jun-13 08:39:41

All the Corinnes I know pronounce their name Cor-inne withe the emphasis on -inne.
If you want Cor-in then I'd spell it like that, Corin.

Also love the name Delphine!

ZolaBuddleia Mon 03-Jun-13 09:17:16

OP, would you pronounce Delphine with the emphasis on the first or second syllable?

Selba Mon 03-Jun-13 09:30:02

I met my first ever Delphine on Friday - a sassy middle aged Irish woman. I thought " what a fab name " !

Selba Mon 03-Jun-13 09:30:49

I met my first ever Delphine on Friday - a sassy middle aged Irish woman. I thought " what a fab name " !
The only Auden I know is a man

Selba Mon 03-Jun-13 09:32:00

I love Corin too , and considered it for my daughter till someone pointed out the possibility of it being associated with Corrie, the tv prog

mum47 Mon 03-Jun-13 09:32:07

I have a friend called Corin in her 50's - a lovely name which suits a child and adult too.

Damnautocorrect Mon 03-Jun-13 09:32:46

Delphine is beautiful but reminds me of peppa pig... Sorry

kelda Mon 03-Jun-13 09:32:47

Love the name Anwen. I think it's Welsh but I've heard it on the continent too.

Delphine is beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now