Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Changing babies name

(9 Posts)
Chelsea91 Sun 26-May-13 10:34:10

6 month old son and really regretting his name, we want to use his middle name as his first name how do we do this legally and is this a bad idea after 6 months

quoteunquote Sun 26-May-13 11:38:22

My husband's entire extended family are known by their second names, it's a common practice in many areas,

As most of them have the same first names, and same surnames, the tradition is that they go by their second names, or you would have a lot confusion.

Just use the first initial, second name and surname.

so David Henry Smith, becomes D.Henry Smith,

Then no legal change is necessary, my husbands bank accounts , have the equivalent to Mr.D.Henry Smith, everyone knows him as " Henry", schools always ask what a child's chosen name is, when they start.

The point of having second, third names is so you can use them.

JojoMags Sun 26-May-13 15:24:04

Agree with the above. You don't have to do anything other than to start using it! People will catch on soon enough, and if you want to do it, do it now. The longer you dither, the harder it will be, and then it will be too late (speaking from experience). I would say go for it, or you'll regret it for years to come. I know quite a few people who go by their middle name. It's not a big deal, really.

EllenJanesthickerknickers Sun 26-May-13 15:27:18

My dad was always known by his middle name as his unimaginative dad had named him after himself, what ego! As in the same first and middle name, so granddad was known by my dad's first name and my dad by granddad's second name.

cupcake78 Sun 26-May-13 15:28:13

My family have lots of us that go by our second name. What change it when it's still on his birth certificate.

Sleepthief Sun 26-May-13 23:36:12

You can change it at the register office up until one year and the new name will appear on birth certificates - if I remember correctly (personal experience), you only pay for the new certificates. After the age of one it has to be done by deed poll.

EllenJanesthickerknickers Sun 26-May-13 23:59:28

Sleepthief, that is a useful piece of information.

sashh Mon 27-May-13 01:09:55

After the age of one it has to be done by deed poll.

You don't need a deed poll, you can just use any name you want.

Hummuschocolate Tue 28-May-13 17:52:15

You could just use his mn for now. Don't change it yet unless you're sure

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: