Talk

Advanced search

Rename yourself...

(52 Posts)
AllegraLilac Fri 24-May-13 20:25:16

You have to choose a new name. Was there a name you loved as a child and always wanted to be called?

Have you never felt like your name suits you? Come across a marvellous name you're jealous isn't yours?

I'm a Felicity and I do like and suit my name. As a child I wanted to be Ruby Eleanor. As a grown up I really fancy being Claudia Kate.

None of this 'I'm happy as I am crap. Choose, it's supposed to be fun.

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Fri 24-May-13 20:32:06

I always wanted to be a Sarah. My real name is also 80's as anything grin

Felicity is a lovely name envy

iklboo Fri 24-May-13 20:33:11

I always wanted to be Rachel or Rebecca.

WilmaFingerdoo Fri 24-May-13 20:33:41

I like my name and it suits me although I hate the shortened version. It is typical of girls born in 1974 though.

As a child I wanted to be Colette.

As an adult I quite fancy Antoinette.

aftermay Fri 24-May-13 20:34:39

I wanted to be Michaela.

picnicbasketcase Fri 24-May-13 20:34:54

I wanted to be called Belinda when I was little, but I don't like it at all now. No offence to any Belindas.

MolotovCocktail Fri 24-May-13 20:36:37

I've always fancied Louise, or Louisa, for myself. I love that I could have been NNed Lou, Lulu or even Lola.

I should have been Abigail, but my parents thought I looked more like the name I was given when I was born.

I do really like my real name, but I wonder how life would have been different as Abi grin

aftermay Fri 24-May-13 20:40:15

Picnic - you think Belinda is bad? I went through a phase of wanting Brenda. And dreamt of a Brian. WTF?

NotYoMomma Fri 24-May-13 20:41:48

Sarah

turkeyboots Fri 24-May-13 20:42:20

I always wanted to be Helen. My name is a variety of it, but Helen seemed so much cooler when I was 7.

As a child, I wanted to be Jane Louise. My actual name is unusual and it's been a pita my whole life. Now, I quite fancy being Katienne Violet.

AllegraLilac Fri 24-May-13 20:43:40

Just realised how much of an age giveaway the childhood names are!

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 24-May-13 20:44:40

I have a name already mentioned. It's the mn hated hyphen though. I always loved that. I used different parts for different times in life eg school then Uni, then work. Now I'm known by initials. It sounds so fing cool and is always commented on. I repeated for dds. They will love us for such cool names. Well hopefully!

blueberryupsidedown Fri 24-May-13 20:45:16

Yes I do love Sarah. I'm French speaking and I wish I had a name that would sound beautiful and sexy in both languages. Instead I have a name that is a man's name in most languages and most English people can't pronouce. Sarah, and I also like Anna, or Jane. Or Laure/Laura. Laura Jane - I like it.

BrevilleTron Fri 24-May-13 20:46:14

I wanted to be Lydia
But Laura suits me
Only certain people can get away with calling me 'Laur' or 'Laurs'

My name is double barrelled so I'm Laura-Louise or Laura-Lou

PicardyThird Fri 24-May-13 20:52:20

I wanted to be Lucinda, or Miranda, or Clover (from What Katy Did). I still fancy being called Lucy/Lucia or a variation thereon. I would also like to be Florence, or Charlotte, or something like Penelope or Alathea. My actual name is very common in my generation, but moving abroad has given it a certain something.

LentilAsAnything Fri 24-May-13 21:00:06

MolotovCocktail, I'm an Abigail/Abi. I like it well enough.

I really love the name Indiana. I'd have rocked that name! smile My other favourites are what I have lined up if I ever have a daughter, so as yet, I'm not telling.

TicketyToc Fri 24-May-13 21:06:46

I wanted to be called Rebecca or Abigail

marriedtoagoodun Fri 24-May-13 21:10:03

I wanted to be Saskia (Sassy as a nickname) or Helena. They were both older girls at my convent school and were very beautiful.... I was the chubby one, with pink NHS glasses and a bob that had a huge cowslick. SIGH if only I had been Sassy it would have been so different grin

TicketyToc Fri 24-May-13 21:12:02

I wanted to be called Rebecca or Abigail. My name is Deborah and I hated it when I was a child but I quite like it now.

Layl77 Fri 24-May-13 21:52:00

I have a new criteria for girls names. Would I want to be called it, rules out a lot of tempting cutesy names for me!

ImaginaryHat Fri 24-May-13 22:10:03

I always wanted to be an Emma or a Sophie. Or Darrell from Malory Towers grin I also have a pretty 80s name myself.

Now as an adult I'd quite like to be an Edie.

AllegraLilac Fri 24-May-13 23:40:55

Layl77 that's the most sensible baby naming rule I've ever heard.

Nodney Fri 24-May-13 23:46:38

I wanted to be called Sherry or Cherry when I was little.....can't think why!

borisjohnsonshair Sat 25-May-13 00:08:28

Sorry to say it, but I love my name. And it is one of the names that's been mentioned here. I hate just about everything else about myself mind you, but my name I'm very happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now