Talk

Advanced search

Ridiculous names....

(6 Posts)
Allthatglitters789 Wed 22-May-13 21:57:56

Two ladies I know of that have recently had daughters have named them Miami-Ann and Xenya. Is it just me that thinks these names are a little ridiculous? Don't get me wrong I love unique names but I think these are a bit common. I met a beautiful little girl last year that was named Fanny, now I think that's just mean, and the parents should have known better. What are your opinions?

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 22-May-13 22:00:43

Xenya is a perfectly run of the mill Russian name. hmm
Fanny is very popular in France.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 22-May-13 22:02:05

Fanny is popular everywhere... grin I mean the name is popular in France!

bulletproofgerbil Thu 23-May-13 09:31:47

Miami-Ann sounds like a tongue-twister. Xenya is russian. When I hear Fanny I just see that advert with the Dad trying to reconcile himself to his newborn being the latest in a long line of fannies smile

I think some names are cruel. Fanny (in the UK anyhow) being one of them. I always wonder about surnames though. Would you change your surname if it was something really tease-worthy. For instance if your surname was Flasher (there's one not far from me!) or Smellie? I think I'd seriously consider changing my surname if I was called that and was going to have kids.

Still18atheart Thu 23-May-13 09:40:01

I think Fanny used to be really popular in the UK in the 19th century. So If you like Victorian sounding names

Miami - Ann is ridiculous

Quite like Xenya

rachel234 Thu 23-May-13 10:28:06

I like Xenya!

Fanny isn't great but not that different from Will/Willy, which parents seem to be happy to name their sons these days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now