Talk

Advanced search

Laurence/Laurie? Jamie? for both a boy or a girl?

(28 Posts)
RakeABedOfTyneFilth Tue 21-May-13 19:24:07

I am in "team yellow" as they say, and my son (George) wants baby to be called James. So it got me thinking about unisex names (which my phone spellcheck has just tried to change to 'unwise'...a sign?!?)

George itself has been used by girls, and I know Evelyn, Marilyn are also used for boys but it would be exceptional iyswim.

Any other genuinely androgenous given names out there? Preferably unisex in their full form, not just the nickname (e.g. Pip for Philip/pa, Kit for Christopher/Christine)

I'm not yet sure about this naming strategy so won't necessarily use a unisex name, but just for completeness, we have a short surname that is a common boy's name too.

scaevola Tue 21-May-13 19:28:04

What on earth is "team yellow"?

Unisex names that aren't nns: Rowan, Alexis, Evelyn, Hilary

Also nn that might stand alone: Sasha

RakeABedOfTyneFilth Tue 21-May-13 19:38:34

Yes it's a daft term. We do not know what sex of baby this will be.

Alexis and sasha are both versions of my name, so they wouldn't work for us.

Hilary is interesting... I doubt it would pass DH scrutiny though I might try it on him...!

Smudging Tue 21-May-13 19:46:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adv115 Tue 21-May-13 19:49:11

As the proud possessor of a "yellow" name I would steer clear. For example, being put in a boys' dorm on a pgl holiday (I was 7 at the time so not as excited by that error as you might think) and being at school with two boys who had the same name as me is both annoying and embarrassing. Maybe things have changed in the last thirty years or so, but I think your dc will be grateful for the clarity, even if they don't appreciate the fact until they're older. And I still get mail addressed to "Mr". Grrrr.

MsJupiterJones Tue 21-May-13 21:15:39

Robin, Sam, Chris.

Marion?

RakeABedOfTyneFilth Tue 21-May-13 21:18:21

I was put in a shared room with a bloke when I was a phd student on a conference saving my research grant money! I had even given them my full passport name of Alexandra, but evidently to Hungarian hotel staff that was not clear.

Ashley strikes me as quite strong.

Drew??

RakeABedOfTyneFilth Tue 21-May-13 21:19:50

any views on the names in the title - Laurence (would need French pronunciation for a girl grin ) or Jamie?

scaevola Tue 21-May-13 22:00:00

I like Jamie, but see it as a nn.

Laurence is only female in France, and really isn't unisex in UK. Lovely name though.

Some of the transferred surname names, like Riley, seem to go on either sex.

tinypolkadot Tue 21-May-13 22:51:24

Sandy?

tinypolkadot Tue 21-May-13 22:54:22

Laurel?

badtime Tue 21-May-13 23:06:22

There are a few unisex names I really like e.g. Robin, Rowan, Ellis (and Morgan, but apparently that is 'chavvy').

There are also the 'alternative spelling' names, e.g. Frances/Francis, Lesley/Leslie, Leigh/Lee.

Stat Tue 21-May-13 23:06:26

Some of the more common unisex names at the moment,
Morgan
Taylor
Ashley
Casey

I like Shannon, which is historically unisex, for a boy, but I think it is only used as a girls name nowdays.

RakeABedOfTyneFilth Wed 22-May-13 07:19:07

Thanks for ideas. I don't like any of the surname trend really at all - with our actual surname being a common first name it would cause no end of problems, like if you saw Riley John, you'd think it was Riley, John wouldn't you? Same I suppose for Ashley, although I do like it.

Laurel is really nice but my ILs wouldn't get it at all. Especially for a boy. Sandy too close a nn to my name.

I think Jamie remains the front runner for me. I should have said that my son thinks it's a girl and wants her name to be James. I'm amused by this and sort of want to possibly let him have his way, just a bit.

PenelopePipPop Wed 22-May-13 09:48:59

Hmmm, Laurie is the only one that hasn't been commented on. I associate it with American women over the age of 40 and the sociologist Laurie Taylor. Personally I wouldn't give a baby a shortened version of a name.

Frankly I think you may be going a bit mad and teary because you are at the end of pregnancy and your PFB is about to be pushed aside in favour of a younger sibling and won't know what is going to hit him. This is NOT a good reason for calling your daughter James.

poppydaisy Wed 22-May-13 10:14:51

I know a female Laurence - in French speaking countries it is a womens' name, the female version of Laurent.

Truly unisex names include
Sam
Chris
Morgan
Madison

Kittenkatzen Wed 22-May-13 12:57:50

penelope I think "mad and teary" is a bit uncalled for?! Not least because I don't think the OP has come across as either mad or teary! And she definitely didn't suggest calling a daughter James confused

OP - I think there are some lovely unisex names to choose from. Laurie is ok but quite American sounding imo. I think Jamie is sweet, but my fave as mentioned by a pp is Robin (would use it myself but have surname issues smile)

PenelopePipPop Wed 22-May-13 13:28:51

Sorry KittenKatzen that might be a tone on the internet thing - that was meant to come across as affectionate teasing in response to her last post where she said her DS thinks the new baby will be a girl and wants to call her James. Which is adorable, but not necessarily a good reason to go scouting around for unisex names like Jamie that the new baby will have to live with forever but will cause all sorts of problems with people assuming she is a boy. Much better to prioritise names she loves imho.

OhGood Wed 22-May-13 14:02:04

I love Laurie, but not sure Laurence works for a girl, and I'm not wild about giving shortened versions of names (both your suggestions OP) as full given names.

itsnothingoriginal Wed 22-May-13 14:51:30

I have a boy Laurie/Laurence so obviously I do associate it as a male name. Apart from in the states where I agree it's a common name in the 40 something female age group, I've not yet met a female Laurie despite it being unisex!

Jaime could work for a girl and agree Charlie is pretty much unisex. People have their own perceptions though - just look at discussion on threads about the name Rowan for example!

Also think think its worth considering your surname could add to the confusion of having a unisex name.

Good luck with your decision smile

RakeABedOfTyneFilth Wed 22-May-13 15:05:05

I do think that 'Jamie' might end up being a working title before we go to the registry office and plump for Harry or Olivia. There is aaaaages to go yet - registry deadline will be mid Oct if baby on time!

My actual name themes as a sibset with George are saints for a boy and European princesses for a girl. E.g. Matthew, Caroline. I'm just messing about really in the safety of internet near-anonymity with this androgenous thing.

RakeABedOfTyneFilth Wed 22-May-13 15:06:41

Harry/Olivia was a joke, btw. Definitely not on the list, far too popular

PenelopePipPop Wed 22-May-13 15:41:17

Caroline is lovely, and if you like that then maybe Charlotte with Charlie as the short form would work. I know a lovely woman called Charlie. Though I don't know what I'm saying 'cos that gets you straight back into the Jamie boys dormitory problem.

What the hell go Caroline for a boy and Matthew for a girl. Both great names.

badguider Wed 22-May-13 16:14:49

for every woman who hates having a unisex name, there's one who loves it. mine is unisex and i like it. i studies a male dominated subject and worked in a male profession before moving sideways to something more female dominated and i like not being prejudged to be a woman.
a good friend of mine is the same and she uses her (very female) middle name as well when she wants people to know, and not when she doesn't.

Eskino Wed 22-May-13 16:23:55

I know a girl called James. She's one of a kind, very creative and kooky. Her mum wanted Jamie (or perhaps J'aime) but didn't think it was 'proper'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now