Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else funny about letters?

(51 Posts)
JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 21-May-13 14:19:11

I can't think of a single name beginning with 'k' that I like.
Similarly 't'

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 21-May-13 14:20:16

No that's a lie, I like thea and Theodore - don't like names beginning with a 'tuh' sound.

TheRealFellatio Tue 21-May-13 14:22:58

there are lots of nice K names but they tend to be the older more traditional ones. Katherine and Kirsten are lovely for example.

I think it's just the latest obsession with substituting Ks for Cs (Kallum, Kaleb, Khloe etc) that is irritating. or just very modern or made up names beginning with K, like Kayleigh, Kayden, Kyle etc that are not so easy on the ear.

BedHog Tue 21-May-13 14:24:48

I don't mind some of the Kat names - Katherine, Kate, Katya etc., but you're right, most K names are a bit rubbish, whether they are unfashionable eg Keith, Kevin, or, ahem, names such as Kayden or Klay.

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 21-May-13 14:38:26

No I don't like the older names either grin
I was wondering if it was the inner snob but I think I just don't like the letter 'k' grin

toni1bump Tue 21-May-13 14:47:21

DHs daughter is.called Kayla.. I think.its pretty

Choccyhobnob Tue 21-May-13 14:49:43

Slightly offended as my name is Keely! lol

poppydaisy Tue 21-May-13 14:58:22

In English, the C looks more appropriate for most names I think, but in other Germanic languages the K is nicer, I think e.g. Karl, Katharina, Katrin, Katinka, Konrad.

Littlecherublegs Tue 21-May-13 17:01:44

I like Kirsty and Theo.

I am a bit funny about some letters though but mainly because of what goes with (or doesnt go with) our surname. For that reason I have ruled out names starting with any vowel, H, Y, and B!

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 21-May-13 18:08:35

Yes I much prefer the same name spelt with a 'c' smile

DebsMorgan Tue 21-May-13 18:14:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 21-May-13 20:06:19

Nope don't like any of them grin

ChasingStaplers Tue 21-May-13 20:14:46

That's two out of three of my DC's names you dislike (K and T names). grin

I also think the 'K' issue is an English thing. (Not sure about 'T' though!)

My DS's name is Greek and works just fine (apart from with the dimwits who don't listen when we introduce him).
I also have a good (German) friend called Kerstin and think it's a very pretty name.

BikeRunSki Tue 21-May-13 20:21:07

The mother of a Kaleb I know tells me that it is the original medieval spelling. She's not stupid, but can be a bit ditzy. No idea if she's right but I believe her.

Had a friend at school called Karin. She was Danish, also a dutch girl called Katinka. Always thought those were nice names.

Catbert4pm Tue 21-May-13 20:26:06

Kaitlin is nice (tho' it nearly came out as Kaolin in this post, thanks to auto correct!)

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 21-May-13 22:32:33

Sorry grin

You probably wouldn't like my dds name. That's ok.

Does anyone else have any other letters they dislike?
I don't think I like names that start with an 'x' either grin

BuntyPenfold Tue 21-May-13 22:42:01

I don't like the letter G, it looks so ugly to me. I don't mind being told I'm mad though, go ahead smile

AllegraLilac Tue 21-May-13 23:04:09

I LOVE the letter V!

WillYouDoTheFandango Tue 21-May-13 23:17:18

DP and I both seem to love J's, the only names we ever suggest are J ones.

ChasingStaplers Tue 21-May-13 23:31:33

On further reflection you could be onto something!
my parents: obsessed with the letter 'R'. So much so that ALL the potential options for mine and my brother's names began with it. (Think, Rebecca, Rachel, Ruth or Robert, Richard, Ross) the weirdos! smile

sleepingbeautiful Wed 22-May-13 03:58:26

I like the older style K names and Germanic ones as pointed out already, but not the newer style (especially the mis-spellings).
T is fine - I love the name Tamsin.

Thinking about your question more, I don't like the letter B or B names. When naming our twins most of the names on our list started with A, C and E.

JazzAnnNonMouse Wed 22-May-13 05:31:14

My mother has a particular liking for 'J' names too.

DebsMorgan Wed 22-May-13 08:07:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lollypopsicle Wed 22-May-13 08:22:25

I seem to have a thing for names starting 'el...' I didn't realise this until looking for a name for our current bump.
I also like names that start with a C but not a K. I have no explanation as to why. As you can imagine, I think the Rooney's choice of Klay is appalling. Like they care grin

miffybun73 Wed 22-May-13 11:53:44

I can't think of any K names that I really like either.

Lots of awful ones and some OK ones - Kathryn, Katherine, Kate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now