Talk

Advanced search

Middles names

(11 Posts)
MrsBrownstone Tue 21-May-13 14:11:00

Our Son who's 2 is called Seth James as the middle name James is a family traditionmin dh family. However, they're all only children. We are due in Sept with our yellow bump. We have out first name picked, Aiden, but wondered what the norm was for giving them the same middle name?I know ultimately it's our decision but we're kind of at a loss

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 21-May-13 14:17:52

I think it's a bit weird and slightly pointless, but each to their own!

jamtoast12 Tue 21-May-13 14:20:29

I think its odd to give them the same middle names but then I also don't see the point of middle names..none of mine have them. They're rarely used so giving the same wont be obvious to anyone else if you wanted to.

Locketjuice Tue 21-May-13 14:26:13

My partner was given the same middle name as his brother.. He thought everyone gets the same middle name hmm

I personally don't like it... They are individuals they don't need to have 'matching' names

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 21-May-13 15:36:51

Each to their own but as you have bucked the trend by having DC2, why not go for something different other than James.

Aiden Francis
Aiden Thomas
Aiden Gregory
Aiden Reece

Just to get the ball rolling wink

vitaminC Tue 21-May-13 15:48:30

In my family all the women have the same middle name (and again, all only children, 5 or 6 generations back). I gave my DD1 that name to keep my Grandma happy even though I don't like it much myself but for DD2 I used a name from my XH's family.

My Grandma was shocked at first, but I told her it was only fair to honour his family this time, regardless of the sex. She actually agreed this was fair, she simply hadn't even considered the eventuality!

Grandma died when DD2 was just 6wks old, so DD3 got Grandma's first name as a middle name smile

Are there any family names on your side, you could use, OP?

Eskino Tue 21-May-13 15:52:40

When you could literally have any word, in any language, spelled any way you like, why would you have the same name as his brother?

Unless you have a girl, then naming her James is inspired and actually quite brilliant.

MrsBrownstone Tue 21-May-13 17:26:50

Thanks for replies everyone. I too thought it seemed slightly weird (although my family say it's normal).

There's only one name on my side we'd contemplate using which is Mark, but I don't like the sound of them together tbh. I don't see the point of a middle name unless it's in honour of someone so if we don't use Mark then I highly doubt we'll use one at all.

Eskino, the middle name James for a girl is a brilliant idea, but Elizabeth is our chosen middle name after my Nan.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 21-May-13 22:12:25

You can't not give him one if his brother has one (and a meaningful, family name at that!).

Surely you or DH must have a father or grandfather or an uncle or a brother between you?

EnglishRose1320 Tue 21-May-13 23:58:23

I would def pick a middle name, my mum's older sister both have middle names and she doesn't and it has always bugged her.

sleepingbeautiful Wed 22-May-13 03:31:52

I agree with EnglishRose. I think your second child won't like not having a middle name if big brother does. Can't you just pick another traditional Bible type name similar to James? - Aiden John, Aiden Luke, Aiden Paul, Aiden Thomas, Aiden Jude etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now