Talk

Advanced search

Hermione

(17 Posts)
JeffActually Thu 16-May-13 18:43:08

I have loved the name since Hermione Norris was in Cold Feet way back when...but it has been slightly tainted by the HP connection.

Had a quick check on the Office of National Stats website and there have only been just over 100 babies named Hermione a year for the past three years so it isn't overly popular.

Have search on MN but can only find threads from over 3 years ago and I'd quite like an up to date opinion.

What do you think?

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 16-May-13 19:30:39

I think it's lovely. If I have a daughter one day I want to use it. I don't think HP has tainted it,it has introduced the correct pronounciation to the general public though. By the time any little Hermiomes born now are at school the HP craze will well and truly worn off.

Decoy Thu 16-May-13 19:41:28

Love it smile

BeehavingBaby Thu 16-May-13 20:20:44

Dd1 is 7 and I would have loved hermione for her but everyone laughed re HP. I amkicking myself now as it would suit her perfectly, isn't super popular and she would adore being called it as she is now devouring the HP books, grrr!

bananaramma Thu 16-May-13 20:38:12

Lovely name!

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 16-May-13 21:44:47

I would go for it - Harry Potter doesn't own the name.

She will come to be your Hermione above and beyond any other associations, anyway. And this will happen much more quickly than you think! Same for everyone who knows her.

JojoMags Thu 16-May-13 22:10:01

How weird. I was reading HP to my 5yo tonight and thought the very same, OP. When he was born Hermione would have been tooo HP but the craze is wearing off. Is a beautiful name - time for a revival.

JeffActually Thu 16-May-13 22:39:10

Fabulous, thank you everyone.
Now to choose a couple of middle
names, and then wait and see if DC2 is actually a girl or boy.... grin

blondefriend Fri 17-May-13 22:11:13

My dd's (4) middle name is Hermione - it means "daughter of Helen". I wish I had been brave enough to make it her first name as I love it.

Lovely.

Hermione Jane came to mind first.

Hermione Joy (love, love, love)
Hermione Maeve (yum)
Hermione Wren
Hermione Faye
Hermione Ruth
Hermione Louise
Hermione Gwen
Hermione Claire (love)

Queenofknickers Fri 17-May-13 22:25:56

Love it - it's what I'd call a DD

SingingSands Fri 17-May-13 22:37:40

Love it. It is DH' s favourite name (Cold Feet connection!) and I loved it since reading an Anne Fine book as a kid, but where the main character was Hermione. But our DD was born in 2004 when Potter-mania was huge, so we avoided it, although we do occasionally joke about trying for another DD and call it "Project Hermione"!

FatherSpodoKomodo Sat 18-May-13 21:25:33

I've loved it since Cold Feet too! But I had all boys and never got to use it. I thought it would get really popular due to Harry Potter but I've never met one.

muttonjeffmum Sat 18-May-13 21:38:54

When my DD was a baby our 4 year old DS begged us to change her name to Hermione. I have lovely memories of him dressed up as Harry Potter waving his wand at her and her toddling after him. I really wish he had been into HP a bit earlier and she might well of been called it. I love it. Be bold - call your baby it (if it's a girl obviously!)

JeffActually Sun 19-May-13 09:58:13

Thank you for the middle name suggestions - and even more positive comments - I don't think I have ever read a baby name thread where everyone is in agreement grin
SingingSands love the Project Hermione idea!
Both of my nieces (9 and 12) have expressed a preference for Emily so I'd like to get that in somewhere. Am going to visit my DM tomorrow so going to have a look at the family tree and see whether I can poach a name from there, probably needs to be a short one though
Hermione (something) Emily?

calypso2008 Sun 19-May-13 10:02:26

Love it, but I have good reason too grin. It will stand your daughter in good stead.

I have never met another one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now