Talk

Advanced search

How popular is Matilda?

(9 Posts)
MissTweed Fri 10-May-13 10:32:00

I recently started a thread about the popularity of Tabitha as I loved the name but was worried that it bad become too popular (appears a lot on MN) but in real life is far less common and was pleasantly surprised.

.... So how about Matilda? How popular is it especially in yhe last year or two? we Instantly wrote it off our list for the same reason but thought I'd ask just in case.

Many thanks

Jacksterbear Fri 10-May-13 10:35:29

I think it's quite popular, although having said that, 2yo DD is the only Matilda in her preschool and we haven't come across any others at toddler groups etc.

curiousgeorgie Fri 10-May-13 10:39:28

I have a 2 year old Matilda... And in hindsight, I may have chosen something else. There is always a Matilda or a Tilly (or three!) at baby groups / Gymboree / the park.

It makes my heart sink a little bit when I hear it being called!

Currently expecting DD2 and I'm going for a unique name!

MissTweed Fri 10-May-13 10:42:49

Thanks curious.... That's what I want to avoid really -- but without being to out there--

But that's only because I grew up with a really common name and hated it

Manoodledo Fri 10-May-13 13:09:39

I think it might depend massively on where you live. I'm thinking of Matilda for DC3 and I was surprised to discover on here that it's thought of as being very popular. I haven't come across any here (N.E. Scotland).

othersideofchannel Fri 10-May-13 13:25:41

Very popular here. Lots of Matildas who are known by Milly, Tilly or Tilda. I personally much prefer Tabitha!

Exhaustipated Fri 10-May-13 14:20:00

It's in the top 100. A fair few around but not at the level of Amelia/Olivia/Isabelle etc.

Personally I've met a couple of babies/toddles (out of hundreds at various groups across four years).

farmersdaughter Fri 10-May-13 14:30:37

SE England - I don't know any, DD is 2. I'll have a look along the pegs at nursery later to see if there is any.

Gutted....have always loved this name since I was a child and now it's everywhere.

Really don't like Tilly or Tilda through.

AKissIsNotAContract Fri 10-May-13 14:33:31

If you like the NN Tilly, how about Ottilie?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now