Talk

Advanced search

DH has gone off DS name at 40+2

(30 Posts)
katkoala Fri 10-May-13 08:52:14

Just before our 20 week scan we settled on the name Isaac. I love the name and the fact that having a nsme has helped me to bond with my baby bump.
DH told a couple of workmates who had, let's say a lukewarm reaction to the name plus dmil and dfil don't seem too keen. TBH I don't give a monkey's what anyone else thinks and I'm quite surprised by dh as I thought he was the same.
Anyway, there are a couple of other names we both like: Theo, Fyffe and Seth.
Now I've built a relationship with Isaac, I'm reluctant to change...but secretly really like Fyffe as Isaac seems quite common and to have grown in popularity since I first considered it.
Has anyone else been set on a name throughout pregnancy then changed it? We have a 3 syllable, long, surname so a shorter first name might be better? ?

LalyRawr Fri 10-May-13 08:57:41

I woke my OH up at 3am sobbing hysterically that I hated the name we picked out. I was about 37 weeks and we had decided on the name when I was about 7 weeks!

We then didn't name DD until she was here. &it was a name that had never come up during pregnancy!

You have six weeks after the birth to name them, don't panic.

Ponderosa Fri 10-May-13 09:05:48

I haven't been in your position but we made the mistake of telling everyone what our first choice name for DS was before he arrived. It was mocked and openly disliked and this got to DH who went off it.

I'm still a bit gutted that we 'lost' that name. Needless to say with the next pregnancy I refused to talk names with anyone except DH.

FWIW Isaac is a superb name and is never 'common'. Try and talk your DH around!

DowntonTrout Fri 10-May-13 09:09:45

I think Fyffe is lovely (although there's nothing wrong with Isaac either.)

FWIW my DCs are 25, 19, and 11 and I still hear names and think " I wish I'd thought of that!"

Just go with what feels right when you meet him.

katkoala Fri 10-May-13 09:50:57

Thanks all. One of the reasons I like Isaac so much is it means 'laughter' and throughout my pregnancy I've had quite a lot of uncontrollable laughter fits, so think that's appropriate.
My only worry with Fyffe is we're Scottish and people might think we're doing a 'Beckham' and naming after place of conception...Fife! grin

JojoMags Fri 10-May-13 10:58:15

Go with what you love (as long as its not too outrageous which Isaac isn't). We had a name we loved for DS3 and told my mum,MIL and BF, as well as one casual acquaintance at work. No-one liked it so we went with something safer. Still regret listening to them!

DowntonTrout Fri 10-May-13 11:07:02

Well my DDs name means "lame" which is not particularly nice but it is irrelevant really.

It's also the name of a supermodel and as DD is tall, slim, with long blond hair, people ask if we called her after said supermodel. ER... No. We didn't know what she would end up looking like when she was born.<grin>

Just go with what you like. They are all lovely and your son will just become what his name is. It just seems to work like that.

noblegiraffe Fri 10-May-13 11:10:54

I bet you'd get a worse reaction if you told the same people 'Fyffe'.
Isaac is a lovely name.

Littlehousesomewhere Fri 10-May-13 12:03:59

Dont worry about it. Just keep your mind open and keep discussing, you have plenty of time and maybe when you meet your son choosing a name might be easier.

othersideofchannel Fri 10-May-13 13:28:24

I agree that Fyffe is a great name and would go well with a long surname. I don't know any boys named this and so he will probably be easily remembered and identified! I know lots of Isaacs and Theos, on the other hand.
Go with what you love!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 10-May-13 13:44:33

My first thought re: Fyffe, living in Scotland as I do, was Fife.
My second thought was bananas.

Does Isaac mean laughter, that's great smile.

Fyffe or Isaac, you won't care what outsiders think.

katkoala Fri 10-May-13 14:51:30

Hadn't considered bananas grin Fyffe means bright-eyed.
Mmmm starting to ponder a change myself, I've always thought naming your dc's would be theee hardest decision to make sad

TalkUsernameYoudLike Fri 10-May-13 15:00:35

I like Theo the most smile

DP and I chose a name for DS quite early on, then when it got closer to my due date I was a bit wobbly with the idea, but I stuck with that name and I have no regrets.. really suits him!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 10-May-13 15:01:58

The randoms who are on a board or who work with DH don't live with your DCs so honestly don't be swayed OP, you know that your PILs will be thrilled you have a safe delivery and whatever name you choose, they'll accept DS with it.

PipkinsPal Fri 10-May-13 15:04:37

I quite like Isaac as long as your surname is not Hunt. Fyffe made me think of bananas too.

WorkingtoohardMama Fri 10-May-13 15:10:00

We were set on a name for ds and then later dd, changed our minds when we saw them as they didn't look like the name, I always wonder how people name their bumps and stick with it - I've known people to buy personalised things before the baby is born, each to their own, but what if that name doesn't suit them?

My advice, keep your choices to yourself (and dh) and wait until you meet the baby, after seeing you in labour most dh's will happily agree with your chosen name!

MrsJohnHarrison Fri 10-May-13 15:15:26

Isaac was on our list for our 2nd DC. We had a girl though.
Just a quick FYI, you only have 21 days to register births in Scotland, not 6 weeks.
Congratulations on your wee man!

birdofthenorth Fri 10-May-13 18:58:37

If your DH has really gone off Isaac it 's better to accept it now than after he's here maybe? I like Isaac. Fwiw I love Seth, really love it, and like Theo too. Fyffe makes me think Fife too, which isn't an awful thing, but it's not my favourite of your choices (there wouldn't be another in the class though, if that's important to you?)

Decoy Fri 10-May-13 19:53:47

Stick with Isaac, it's a good solid classic name.

I like Seth, and Theo as nickname for Theodore.

First thought on Fyffe was the Fyffes fruit importers.

katkoala Fri 10-May-13 20:28:32

Thanks all, I'm determined to stick with Isaac. He is already Isaac IYKWIM calling him something else now wouldn't be right.
Just need him to vacate now as mummy is desperate to meet him wink

Bowlersarm Fri 10-May-13 20:34:43

I would say stick to Isaac as you clearly like it.

However, we changed DS1 name after he had been delivered because the midwife didn't like it shock,

We don't regret it one bit, but I do think midwife was naughty as she didn't know us at all and we were at an emotional and vulnerable state!

katkoala Fri 10-May-13 20:43:49

Ooooft I think I would've told her where to go...wink

Bowlersarm Fri 10-May-13 20:47:35

Was that to me kat? Well obviously we weren't sold on the original name as I'm not usually so easy to manipulate. We do prefer the name we used as well, and so does he, when we tell him his lucky escape!

Overthehillmum Fri 10-May-13 20:54:10

I decided to call my first child after my grandmother, it was weird when she was born because it was such a long old fashioned name, I regretted it but couldn't change it as my granny would have been gutted, but after a month I could imagine her being anything else, and 23 years later it is still fairly uncommon, she loves it, not having anyone else in her social group with the same name and since my granny died when she was 4 she loves the family connection. So do what you want and don't let anyone put you off.

katkoala Fri 10-May-13 21:33:00

bowlersarm - sorry was just my initial reaction to the cheek of the mw, I thought that was out of order from her. Glad however it worked out for you and you've no regrets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now