Talk

Advanced search

Help me fine tune my girl name list before sharing with dh

(46 Posts)
Littlehousesomewhere Fri 10-May-13 00:30:15

Ok have posted to get some help earlier and food this very helpful so would appreciate some insights about my final list.

Honor
Anya
Bethan
Ola
Molly
Rosa
Willa
Cora
Laura
Heather
Lola

And although I prefer 2 syllables I am adding Georgiana, Rhiannon and susannah (zanna nn) :D

Thoughts? Anything you think will become too popular or too trendy today and will date badly or is too similar to something else that falls into these categories?

Also what is your favourite?

Littlehousesomewhere Fri 10-May-13 00:30:50

Found this helpful

Littlehousesomewhere Fri 10-May-13 00:43:18

Also minna is on that list too smile

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 10-May-13 00:48:51

My four favourites are:

Susannah - gorgeous and underused
Rosa - beautiful
Cora - unusual but simple
Willa - ditto

Lola is v ubiquitous.
Laura, Heather and Bethan are a bit blah but have a nice retro seventies feel I guess.
Anya and Ola seem a bit lifeless.
Molly is sweet.

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 10-May-13 00:49:10

Oh, Minna is lovely too!

LittleMissLucy Fri 10-May-13 01:12:48

Did you mean Orla? I like that, I've not heard of Ola.
Also like Laura and Rosa. Classic, simple.

Startail Fri 10-May-13 01:17:37

Heather
Honour
Rhiannon
Rosa
Bethan

And I'll throw in my *unusable fav. Rebecca
*ex of DH's sadly

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 10-May-13 01:19:42

I started grading the ones I like but got stuck. I am very taken with Susannah then Molly, Rhiannon, Bethan and Cora. I like Willa except I wonder would she end up being called Willy?

At the bottom of the list Ola, then Lola, Rosa and Minna.

May I suggest Morwenna?

TigOldBitties Fri 10-May-13 01:43:36

I like

Willa
Rosa
Molly
Cora

I don't think Lola fits with the flavour of your other names, I think Rhiannon and Bethan are a bit naff and I'd say I least like Susannah and Heather, both are so stuffy and dated.

I'm indifferent to the others, but thought you might like Isla, Ayla or Mila.

KittenofDoom Fri 10-May-13 02:50:22

The only ones I like are Rosa and Susannah.

rundontwalk Fri 10-May-13 03:10:45

I like honor, Rosa & Cora.

LittleMissLucy Fri 10-May-13 03:32:00

I agree Lola is a bit off, its like a strippers name amongst them all.

sleepingbeautiful Fri 10-May-13 04:03:54

Like: Honor, Bethan, Rosa, Cora, Laura, Susannah
Meh: Willa, Heather, Georgiana, Minna
Dislike: Anya, Ola, Molly, Lola, Rhiannon

(Used to quite like Rhiannon, but due to Rhianna singer there are now sadly a lot of chavs on both sides of the Atlantic with this group of names)

Leafmould Fri 10-May-13 10:20:55

Honor...... Are you American? I perceive this as an American name because of the spelling. Not keen.

Anya......nice
Bethan......hmmmmm
Ola...........Spanish for 'wave' Portuguese for 'hello' not keen
Molly........ Not keen
Rosa........nice
Willa........quite nice....
Cora.........hmmmmm
Laura........nice
Heather......nice
Lola..........v. Popular ATM. Not keen

Georgiana....too fancy
Rhiannon.....nice
Susannah.....nice
Minna...........not keen

Is your oh making you a list as well? I would ask him to do one and then swap.

Leafmould Fri 10-May-13 10:24:16

No, really, get him to do a list. He may be very agreeable to your suggestions, but people can be really unpredictable about names. Get him to do one first, and then if there is any overlap it's his choice too. And if he hates all of your names, you can hate all of his too!

JojoMags Fri 10-May-13 10:50:23

I like Susannah, Anya, Bethan and and Georgiana best. Also like Molly. I don't like Ola or Willa (this is awful!) at all and I think Lola will date. Thes rest are OK but only OK.

MadBusLady Fri 10-May-13 10:59:47

I'd be torn between Honor, Cora and Georgiana.

Honor, Anya, Georgiana, Cora - all lovely and fairly unusual names, not too weird but I think unlikely to become over-popular. Only possible danger is Cora might be having a big revival due to Downton Abbey?

Rosa, Laura, Heather, Susannah, Rhiannon, Bethan - classics, probably a bit more popular than the above, but unlikely ever to be so wildly trendy that they'll date easily.

Molly, Lola - for me these are a bit trendy and likely to date, on the tail end of the last 10 years or so phase of cutesie vaguely Victorian names. Nothing wrong with them, I like them, but they will be popular (and also lots of little girls will have these names who are a few years older).

Ola, Minna, Willa - don't like these at all, sorry. Willa in particular doesn't sound very nice to me.

MadBusLady Fri 10-May-13 11:04:13

On American-ness, I've seen "Honor" spelt like that in 18th and 19th C English parish records. I don't know why we've ended up with one spelling for the name and another for the word, but we have and AFAIK the name has been spelt "Honor" since before there was a defined UK/US difference.

Layl77 Fri 10-May-13 11:06:27

Cora is pretty, willa may get teased?! Others all ok, not fussed on honor

ellajayne Fri 10-May-13 11:09:48

Susannah
Laura
Rosa
Wills

Decoy Fri 10-May-13 11:25:21

My favourites are

Bethan
Laura
Georgina
Honor
Anya

Littlehousesomewhere Fri 10-May-13 11:57:33

Thanks for the opinions. I somewhat agree with a lot of the criticisms.

I do like all of them still and would be happy to use any at this stage.

Will discuss with dh and go from there.

Whoever asked about his list, last time we discussed girl names he couldnt get past Jennifer or Cherri hmm.

This is why Ive been working hard to think of a substantial list that I like, which we can discuss and use as a springboard for him to think a little more about other names he likes.

KittenofDoom Fri 10-May-13 12:55:03

MadBusLady There was no consistency in spelling back then. People simply wrote things as they heard them. Spelling wasn't really fixed before the 20th century.

MadBusLady Fri 10-May-13 14:16:33

I know, that's what I was getting at. It is pure coincidence that we've ended up with what is now a US spelling for the name. They used to be spelt every which way and it formalized later. It doesn't mean the name Honor is especially American.

grin at Cherri. 80s-tastic.

TenthMuse Fri 10-May-13 20:13:25

Absolutely love Honor and Rosa. Willa, Cora, Anya also pretty (though I've come across several Downton-inspired Coras lately!). Would definitely keep all of these.

Laura and Susannah somewhere in the middle - both nice, no negative associations but wouldn't use them myself.

Of the rest:
Bethan - nice enough but seems a bit 'insipid' to me
Molly - been done imo
Ola - not for me
Georgiana - a bit frilly/fussy - makes me think of Georgiana Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, and I imagine an elderly spinster aunt calling for 'Georgiarrrna'!
Heather - still feels too '70s/dated
Lola - different style from your other choices, very common now and has always seemed a bit brash to me
Rhiannon - not a fan - would be seen as downmarket where I am

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now