Talk

Advanced search

Question about Oliver

(25 Posts)
Secondme Thu 09-May-13 20:08:33

I have an Oliver (Olly) and I was wondering; just how common is it? People always say it's a really popular name, etc. and there are 2 Olivers in dd's year but something like 4 Callums so it doesn't feel that popular. Any views?

TallulahBetty Thu 09-May-13 21:33:50

I know loads. Was still on our shortlist though. There's a reason why names are popular - they're nice names!!

Discogeek Thu 09-May-13 21:34:49

I have an Oliver too, known as Ol and is almost 6. He is one of 3 in his class & I get birthday/mothers day cards signed by him with his full name as he's so used to having to use both names to distinguish himself hmm
I didn't know any kids when I had him so no idea how popular it was but then it's the only boys name I actually like so would prob still have gone for it.

chattychattyboomba Thu 09-May-13 21:36:21

I know 3 Olivers (age 1 month to 6 years)

olivertheoctopus Sun 12-May-13 22:21:21

It's the most popular baby boys name in the UK (check the Office of National Statistics). That's how popular!!

Still18atheart Sun 12-May-13 22:25:01

I know several Olivers of different ages. I really like it because imo it's a classic. Like William or Thomas is

shoobidoo Sun 12-May-13 22:26:14

Very popular! We know 4 Olivers under age seven. Last year alone several thousands must have been born...!

HorryIsUpduffed Sun 12-May-13 22:36:47

Loads. Mine is never the only one at any group.

Some names are popular because they're classics, rather than because they're trendy. I trust Oliver will prove to be the former, not the latter!

MerryMarigold Sun 12-May-13 22:38:57

My ds is one. There are none others in his year group (90 kids), but we know quite a few others from 12 to 1 years old! It really suits him and I'm so glad we went for it. I abbreviate to Oli as I think it adds a little quirkiness, but he doesn't like it.

miffybun73 Sun 12-May-13 22:41:33

I don't know any (NW England)

justhayley Sun 12-May-13 22:51:03

I know 2 aged 2 1/2 & 9. Really like it though & would use it for a future DS

Decoy Mon 13-May-13 11:35:08

I don't know any little Olivers, but it is quite popular. The top 10 boys names for 2012 were:

1Harry
2Jack
3Charlie
4Oliver
5Alfie
6Riley
7Jacob
8James
9Thomas
10Ethan

Cookethenook Mon 13-May-13 11:44:43

I know loads of Olivers, ranging from under 1 (i know two) to 20-30 yos (4 i can think of). DS (7) has 1 in his year. It's still lovely though!

googlyeyes Mon 13-May-13 13:50:46

I have an Oliver, and have heard other parents call out the name to their kids quite often when we're out and about but not only is there no other Oliver in his nursery (there are 4 Toms/ Thomases, 3 Harrys and 3 Charlies) but in DD's year of 90 children there are no Olivers at all. Again, it's Charlies and Harrys that are everywhere!

Have also never met a Jack, which is strange as it was the number one boys' name for years.

It's never bothered me how popular the name Oliver is. In a way it's liberating knowing that we will doubtless come across others, whereas friends with babies called Oscar, Leo and Violet were horrified to find that their 'unusual' names had been suddenly adopted en masse!

googlyeyes Mon 13-May-13 13:57:04

Plus it's worth pointing out that the number one boys' name in the country doesn't mean that name has been given to vast numbers of babies. In fact 'only' 7000 or so were named Oliver in 2011, so roughly 1 in 100 babies born that year.

iseenodust Mon 13-May-13 14:11:54

DS knows 2 Olivers age9. Thomas is the most common name in his year. Don't know any Callums.

GibberTheMonkey Mon 13-May-13 14:34:10

People say the same about James but I've only met or two others under ten in three schools

Ebb Mon 13-May-13 14:40:16

I have an Oliver. He's 4 and the only Oliver in his year group at school which surprised as I knew it was a popular name. There are four Finlay's and four Isaac's in the year though.

shoobidoo Mon 13-May-13 14:40:24

Having 2 or 3 Olivers in a class/year is pretty popular! It means that all the Olivers have to have some modifier added to their name or choose another nickname... Given how many lovely names there are to choose from I personally wouldn't choose such a popular name.

In our cubs pack there are also 2 Olivers, both of which share the same surname initial.... makes identifying them a little tricky...!

EssieW Mon 13-May-13 14:42:29

I have an Oliver. There's another one in his year (of 60). We know a few others - all under 6. But not that many. Some also go by ollie and some by Oliver so there is some differentiation.

Mama1980 Mon 13-May-13 14:49:08

I know 6 Oliver's under 6, in ds1 s dance class there's 3. I like it but wouldn't use it for this reason.

HorryIsUpduffed Mon 13-May-13 19:07:39

shoobidoo I know there are lots of nice names but trying to find a decent boy name for a DS3 (that is, DC3, sex as yet unknown) is proving vastly tricky. WHAT ARE ALL THESE NICE NAMES? sad

shoobidoo Tue 14-May-13 10:58:53

Horry, thankfully we all have different tastes, but if you have a look at the ONS lists from recent years you can see ALL the names given (that is, all there were used at least twice I think). If you look beyond the top 100 there might be some names you like?

poppydaisy Tue 14-May-13 11:49:55

We know quite a lot of Olivers - at least two in most groups/classes amongst our kids. It has become quite 'trendy' and will probably be the Steve or Mike of the 1970s - i.e. there will be lots of Olivers/Ollies born in the 2010s that will be growing up together.

Agree that there are so many names to choose from, seems a shame to use one that is already SO widely used.

HorryIsUpduffed Tue 14-May-13 12:09:12

shoobidoo alas I've done that. From nearly seven thousand I have a shortlist of ... one. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now