Advanced search

biblical boys names shortlist

(16 Posts)
tvmum1976 Wed 08-May-13 20:22:33

Any preferences for any of these?

Abraham (nn Abe)
Elijah (nn Eli)
Zephaniah (nn Zeph or Zephy)

Or feel free to tell me they are all ludicrous/ hideous. We have another DS with an 'extreme end' biblical name (of a similar level to these) so wondering if people will think we have teleported back to 2000BC or are just ridiculously pretentious.

Ponderosa Wed 08-May-13 20:32:16

I love them all. I was desperate for a Biblical name for DS2 but DH wasn't having it. I also love Joel, Josiah, Ezra, Ezekiel and Isaac.

Charingcrossbun Wed 08-May-13 20:34:38

Eli is a lovely name and quite popular at the mo I think (I'm a teacher so have lots of name prejudice!). Go with what you like!
K

MadameJosephine Wed 08-May-13 20:41:00

From those three I prefer Elijah

How about Solomon, Isaiah or Jedidiah?

FingersCrossedLegsNot Wed 08-May-13 20:59:43

Abraham....gorgeous

Coconutty Wed 08-May-13 21:01:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thermalsinapril Wed 08-May-13 21:01:44

They're all fabulous!

ItsallisnowaFeegle Wed 08-May-13 21:04:27

I like Zephy best but all three are pretty mint names.

Congratulations! wink

JollyGolightly Wed 08-May-13 21:10:33

I have an Eli, not short for Elijah, but Elias. Also another biblically named ds, but can't say what it is because we'd be identifiable. It's probably what you'd call extreme end!

Others on our shortlist were: Ezekiel (I'd use this in a flash) Isaiah, Jonas, Moses, Emmanuel, Imanol (Basque variant of the latter), and Eliam as another version of Elias.

I have more but am very tired and lacking in recall.

Amybelle Wed 08-May-13 21:17:56

I have a Job (nn Joby) & a Caleb (also have a Theodore-Theo whose middle name is Christos). Considered Eli when having Caleb last year (not Elijah) & decided against it as in the story of Samuel Eli's decendants are doomed by God. I didn't name Job (I'm his second Mum) & although his first Mum named him for patience it can also mean persecuted...

Liked Abraham too (initial wouldn't have worked with our name). I also like Zaccheus (can't spell it though!) but knew another Zach.

JollyGolightly Wed 08-May-13 21:23:02

Love the suggestion of Jedidiah. How about;

Jeremiah (Jem), Jared,Tobias, Zebulon, Zebedee, Saul, Ishmael, Ezra, Asher, Reuben.

I really need more sons to bestow names upon!

tvmum1976 Wed 08-May-13 21:25:28

thanks everyone! Love all the suggestions too- some have already been disregarded for surname/ initial/ similarity to DS's name/ grouchiness by DH reasons but some great new ones too!

Artichook Thu 09-May-13 10:39:45

I love Isaiah and Josiah but the only ones I have met are the children of ultra religious Americans and that puts me off as we are athiest English. I like the history and cultural connections of the names though.

We considered Eli as a nn for Elias.

tvmum1976 Thu 09-May-13 20:35:14

artichook - i agree with you about the religious aspect of all this- we are jewish agnostic/atheists too and a little wary of coming off as religious fanatics!

AKissIsNotAContract Thu 09-May-13 20:37:19

I love Zephaniah, it's my favourite boys name ever.

Jojobump1986 Thu 09-May-13 20:56:02

I know both an Elijah & a Zephaniah under 2 & I know of an Abraham of a similar age. The names are rare but not off-the-wall or completely unheard of. Our DS1 may well have been Elijah if a close friend hadn't used it just weeks before he was born! envy Elijah is definitely the more common name at the moment - we have 2 under 2 in our church!

I love them all though. I did jokingly threaten to divorce DH & run off with someone who'd let me give my babies interesting names! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now