Talk

Advanced search

Claudia Mary ???? Surname

(21 Posts)
lifesobeautiful Tue 07-May-13 23:23:15

My baby girl is due in five weeks' time, and after much deliberation, we're pretty certain we're going to go with Claudia Mary. Claudia I just adore, and Mary is a family name that i really want to use.

Unfortunately, though I've managed to get over this, Claudia means lame in Latin. And Mary, though it can mean 'star of the sea' can also mean bitter.

So what we've decided to do (on the advice of a clever mumsnetter from a previous post I posted about Claudia's unfortunate meaning) is put another name in there which has a lovely meaning. However, I'm not sure what this should be...and I was hoping someone might be able to help me come up with something lovely.

Calista means beautiful - but I don't like it. Thea means goddess, but I don't think it goes...

I think Annabel is lovely - and doesn't sound too bad. Claudia Annabel Mary...

Anyway, any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Saralyn Tue 07-May-13 23:37:17

How about Alannah. Means darling child or precious, according to google.

Claudia Mary Alannah

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 08-May-13 02:00:50

Some ideas here. smile

roseinwinter Wed 08-May-13 03:28:50

Our DD has a 3 syllable first name, then Mary then Hope as a second middle name. We added in Hope after the first two had been chosen as she was in the neonatal unit for a while after she was born. I think the mix of 3-2-1 syllables works nicely. You could get the same effect with another one syllable name like Grace.

Thumbwitch Wed 08-May-13 03:34:33

I was going to say Jane just from your title, and it means Gift from God. But having read your OP, maybe something a little less plain - Grace is very popular just now but would work well, or Faith maybe?

thermalsinapril Wed 08-May-13 09:33:37

Serena
Lucia
Abigail
Sophia
Stella

saffronwblue Wed 08-May-13 09:37:51

Claudia Mary Joy
Claudia Mary Felicity

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 08-May-13 09:41:26

Nice idea, really not sure why ur so bothered by meanings though. It's really not the first thing people say on meeting a Claudia. "Oh hey, Claudia.... Doesn't that mean lame?"

My only advice is be careful what initials can spell out or suggest. Particularly as we don't obvs know the surname too. Could make a very tiny situation a mountain in years to come.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 08-May-13 09:42:08

Claudia jean is very nice

lifesobeautiful Wed 08-May-13 09:56:25

Thanks so much everyone - what lovely suggestions! I like all of them actually. Will have a word with my DH when he comes home! THANK YOU!

othersideofchannel Wed 08-May-13 13:48:46

Claudia Mary Felicia
Claudia Mary Serena

I think anyone having studied Latin may well associate Claudia with claudus = lame/disabled, but certainly not everyone. Agree that adding a name with a lovely meaning will cancel out any negative meaning of Claudia.

CruCru Wed 08-May-13 17:47:33

Claudia Mary Ruth

aoife24 Wed 08-May-13 18:23:28

Every time I see Caludia I brace myself for all the 'oh, you can't use that, it means 'lame'' posts. Baah, it's lovely.

Mariannesmum Wed 08-May-13 19:11:33

How about using Marianne rather than Mary? First part means star of the sea (I choose to ignore the whole bitter thing). Second part means graceful.

Claudia Marianne sounds lovely.

*As I've said in other posts, I may be biased when it comes to the name Marianne...

Claudia Mary works well. LOVE Claudia.

Agree that Claudia Marianne is lovely too, or Claudia Marie.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 08-May-13 22:58:42

And yes, agreed, DO NOT let yourself be dissuaded from Claudia, it's a fabulous name. smile

Slainte Wed 08-May-13 23:01:50

Came on to say Joy I notice it has already been mentioned.

mathanxiety Thu 09-May-13 04:18:37

Claudia Mary Beatrice (means 'voyager through life' and also 'blessed')

Cornwall73 Thu 09-May-13 08:33:29

Don't let anyone put you off your favourite name. Claudia is a beautiful name for a girl and (God willing) we will be naming our girl twin Claudia Jean in August. Not only is DH a huge West Wing fan but Jean is MILs name too. I have no problem with the meaning. Her twin brother will be Alexander Michael as we are both keen on history and classics and wanted our children to have strong names.

JojoMags Thu 09-May-13 10:22:27

Claudia is lovely. Don't have anything original to suggest but I love the suggestion and meaning of Beatrice.

lifesobeautiful Thu 09-May-13 14:13:41

Thanks so much again everyone. Like all of your suggestions but very keen on Beatrice actually - so thank you for that Mathanxiety - and JoJo. Goes really well with our surname.

Claudia Jean is gorgeous. And thanks for the reassurance over the name Claudia and the meaning. I've always adored the name - sounds so elegant to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now