Talk

Advanced search

Cleo too similar to Calypso?

(13 Posts)
pinkegg11 Mon 06-May-13 19:34:12

I am 30 weeks pregnant and don't know the sex but if it's a girl I have fallen in love with the name Cleo. We are of mixed Greek/Mediterranean heritage. One of our closest friends (of similar descent) has a daughter called Calypso, and my question is, do you think these names are too similar - or am I totally over-thinking this in my over-sensitive pregnant state?!

glorious Mon 06-May-13 19:36:32

Definitely not too similar. DH suggested this for our DD. I like it though it wasn't the one for me. But go for it if you do and don't mind the potential association with the car smile

DribbleWiper Mon 06-May-13 20:54:33

Not in the least similar. Do tend to think of Cleo as a shortened form of Cleopatra, however. What about Clio, as in the muse?

Melpomene Mon 06-May-13 20:56:43

If they were sisters I would think the names are too similar, but as it's a friend's child I wouldn't worry at all.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 07-May-13 00:04:42

Both lovely names and I don't think any feathers would be ruffled if you use the name Cleo, good luck.

Imscarlet Tue 07-May-13 00:55:46

I'd be thinking of Clio as in the car, I'm afraid, as I suspect, would most.

thermalsinapril Tue 07-May-13 01:46:35

What Melpomene said.

MsJupiterJones Tue 07-May-13 06:31:25

Not at all, I'd have said they were very different names.

Cleo just makes me think of Cleopatra (in fact my iPhone just autocorrected it to that so it is clearly in sync with me...)

ABirdInTheBush Tue 07-May-13 10:40:41

I like Cleo (please don't spell it Clio) and it really, really isn't too close to Calypso (which makes me think of ice-lollies).

I don't think Cleo would have the same problem, but at my school there was a girl called Astra, and very time she introduced herself by name, she automatically followed it with "yes, like the car."

badtime Tue 07-May-13 10:59:05

ABird, 'Cleo' and 'Clio' are different names, so it is not a question of spelling. However, I agree that it would be a bad idea to call a child 'Clio', for the same reason as it would would be tricky to call a child 'Lenor(e)' (which I love)- it is too associated with a brand name (although 'Flora' appears to have emerged from that shadow, so it is possible).

OP, they are not too similar.

ABirdInTheBush Tue 07-May-13 12:47:55

badtime <sigh> ok, what I meant is, please do not change your choice of name to Clio instead of the similar sounding name of Cleo.

There. Is that better? wink

pinkegg11 Tue 07-May-13 14:37:35

Thanks all for your responses & feedback. Seems unanimous that the names are not too similar so that's reassuring, thank you.

Have found it so hard this time round finding a name we love. I do worry a little about the car association (though not so much about the cleopatra association for some reason) but am hoping if it's spelt with an 'e' that might lessen the link a little.

Imscarlet Tue 07-May-13 14:38:26

I wouldn't associate Cleo with a car at all, just to be clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now