Talk

Advanced search

Aubrie and such

(18 Posts)
Newjobthankgod Sat 04-May-13 14:30:18

Some interesting names I have come across since being Stateside....
Twins Journey and Jurnee
A little boy called "Edge"
Dallyce
Zoe-serenity
Aubrie-Lynn
Destiny-Nivea
Treasure-Madison
Niculle (for Nicole)

I don't get the "ie" instead of "y". For example Kellie instead of Kelly.
I know names are not to everyones taste and some people would probably mock my name choices too......but am I missing something with this trashy name trend? I am s yank by the way. I have just spent most of my life abroad. Now Im back in my own country with severe culture shock.

littleballerina Sat 04-May-13 23:52:56

wow at the names!

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 00:51:22

Why do you say these names are "trashy"?

Newjobthankgod Sun 05-May-13 00:56:23

I think that these names give off a negative vibe culturally speaking. The human brain looks for patterns which it then classifies and labels. It's how we process information. Unfortunately it is how stereotypes and prejudice form. But what I label trash might be another person's classy so....

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 01:15:16

Not everyone classifies and labels, though I understand a lot of people choose to - I think if you're in a hugely multicultural place you get accustomed to less conventional naming, generally.

Newjobthankgod Sun 05-May-13 01:33:02

Yeah I've been away from the States and been an expat a looong time. I should have stayed away.

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 01:42:10

I'm a Brit in the States!

Newjobthankgod Sun 05-May-13 02:00:30

I'm getting really done with the gangsta attitude and jersey shore wannabes. I just don't get it. I guess I am thick.

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 02:09:23

I block that stuff out, or I'm just not noticing it. I think returning to your country of origin is always hard (I did it once before) and has a jarring effect. It gets easier

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 05-May-13 12:06:37

For what it's worth those names sound trashy to me too. I know nothing of the culture they derive from but have seen trashy American tv and those names remind me of the Jeremy Kyle esq equivalent....

Massive generalisation and stereotyping on my part which isn't something I'm proud of but thts my immediate reaction.

MummyBurrows Sun 05-May-13 12:44:20

I think those names sound very try-hard to say the least. I think they're awful but each to their own I guess! To be fair I've heard quite a few equally...let's say "off the beaten track"...names here in the UK so its not so much an American thing,it happens everywhere,but perhaps a bit more common in the USA due to having a large population and feeling the need to "stand out" a bit..??

JumpingJackSprat Sun 05-May-13 12:50:38

I think some of those names are fine - i wouldnt choose to hyphenate but id rather name my child zoe serenity or aubrie lynn than the likes of felix, wilfred or tabitha which are often held up as examples of "lovely" names on MN. If we all called children john, fred and matthew how utterly dull would it be?

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 21:20:58

Jazz that's a whole bundle of offensive, right there in your post.

JazzAnnNonMouse Mon 06-May-13 04:03:08

I know confused. It's my honest immediate reaction, it's something I would irl keep to myself obviously and I wouldn't judge a person I met if they had those name but those are my immediate thoughts blush

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 06-May-13 04:25:41

Every bloody week on MN lately there is a thread mocking names for not being classy enough. Words like 'Chav' will get bandied around next and then some ignorant fool will come out with a load of urban myths like 'I know someone who called their child LeDasha spelt L-a'.

It's nasty and judgemental, I can't be the only one who is tired of it.

Jellyhandsandfingers Tue 07-May-13 22:54:28

I see the names listed above as 'American' and to me they work in that context. There are lots of names, some lovely and some not so lovely that I hear of on TV or online for American children, but in the UK they just do not work and have totally different connotations.

In fact, my cousin has a name which is not common over here at all but in the US, from what I gather, is rather popular and someone at work referred to the name as 'a stripper name' the other week.

I love the name Aubrie by the way (although would have to spell it Aubrey as I can't grasp the 'ie' being used instead) but just don't think I could get away with it over here.

charlottehere Tue 07-May-13 23:28:22

I know of a Poppi, pop I?

KittenofDoom Wed 08-May-13 01:39:44

Aubrey is a man's name. Very uncommon, I've only ever met one, who was a friend of my parents in the 1960s. One to consider for anyone looking for a strong name that's unusual without being "out there" or "try hard".

I'm aware that it has been given to some girls in recent years (not that I've met any), but I suspect that's come from confusion with Audrey and I don't think the two names are connected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now