Talk

Advanced search

Having a name wobble

(21 Posts)
LittleDonkin Wed 24-Apr-13 19:31:04

I found out yesterday that DC 2 is to be my second DD smile I had already decided on the name Lois Seraphina for a girl but now I'm having doubts. When people have said Lois back to me after I have told them names I like it sounds to me like they are saying Lewis. Do you think they sound very similar. I know Lewis is a boys name and once peo0ple see/hear she is a girl they wont think her name is Lewis. I was even asked by one person how you spell Lois. Is it a difficult name???

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 24-Apr-13 19:32:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dynababy Wed 24-Apr-13 19:52:02

LovE the name Lois and I certainly wouldn't confuse with Lewis and think most adults could spell it. Don't wobble it's lovely!

seeker Wed 24-Apr-13 19:53:29

No- easy peasy.

And lovely.

Seraphina is a bit of a mouthful though.......

LittleDonkin Wed 24-Apr-13 20:05:44

I have a bit of a pattern with names. My DD is Erin Juliana and we have a 2 syllable surname and I think it flows nicely 2 syllable 1st name followed by 4 syllable MN then our rather abrupt surname smile

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 24-Apr-13 20:09:41

I think the two names together are a bit difficult to say because of the two s sounds, but I suppose in real life they will very rarely be said together.

girliefriend Wed 24-Apr-13 20:13:10

Am not keen on either name - sorry, I would think Lewis when I heard it and I expect a few may think its a boys name.

The middle name sounds a bit pretentious to me.

But that said if you like it then don't worry what anyone else thinks!!

Ham69 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:19:49

Not at all difficult and goes beautifully with your DD1's name.

themilkmonster Wed 24-Apr-13 20:21:45

I think Erin and Lois sound lovely together. I know a few babies called Lois and have never thought of Lewis when I heard the name! If you like it then that's all that matters.

HorryIsUpduffed Wed 24-Apr-13 20:25:04

Lois is lovely and worlds away from Lewis hmm

... but as much as I adore Seraphina I do think it runs on loiseraphina so is there any chance of splitting them up eg Lois Anna Seraphina or similar?

Congratulations on a second pink bump !

flutterbynight Wed 24-Apr-13 20:35:05

Lois is a lovely name and doesn't sound like Lewis to me, nor would I have problems spelling it. Agree with previous posters about the slight difficulty with first name ending in the same letter as the middle name starts with though.

Hope your pregnancy is going well smile

Startail Wed 24-Apr-13 20:37:23

Congratulations two girls is perfect <biased>

Lois and Erin is a perfect pairing (If my dyslexic brain doesn't confuse Lois and Lewis I don't think most other people will).

LittleDonkin Wed 24-Apr-13 20:47:24

Thanks everyone smile as has been said both names are very rarely going to be said together, probably only at her christening, wedding and when she has been VERY naughty! But I just love knowing that Seraphina is her middle name, I aren't brave enough to use it as her 1st name and I think it would sound very exotic when said next to Erin.

I am so happy I am having another DD!

flutterbynight at my scan yesterday it was noticed that I have a very low anterior placenta so I am praying that when I get scanned again at 32 weeks that it has moved! Plus rib flare has started already which is a treat.

MummyBurrows Wed 24-Apr-13 21:00:51

Lois does sound a bit like Lewis to me,I know its a girls name I can can distinguish between the 2 but considering its pronounced Low-is there's not a lot of difference between the 2 so it can sound a lot like Lewis when you hear it back but it will be obvious she's a girl called Lois by the way she dressed,ect to any random stranger that may stop you in tesco to compliment you on her smile

If it really starts to grate on you about it sounds,perhaps consider Louise? Sounds lovely with Seraphina and isn't worlds away (spelling wise) from Lois smile just an idea xx

KittenofDoom Wed 24-Apr-13 21:01:35

Lois is quite uncommon I think, despite being in the Bible, but should be familiar to most people because of Lois Lane. I have only met one person named Lois in my whole life.

MummyBurrows Wed 24-Apr-13 21:02:29

FWIW I really like the sound of Erin and Seraphina!xx

CognitiveOverload Wed 24-Apr-13 21:02:38

Dont think it's a difficult name. Like it smile

flutterbynight Thu 25-Apr-13 14:59:52

Sorry to hear about the complications LittleDonkin Funnily enough I had exactly the same issue with my placenta at the 20 week scan - I was convinced it wouldn't move but thankfully by 32 weeks it was completely clear and I had a lovely, natural birth with my DS just after 40 weeks. Hope the same happens for you & little Lois Seraphina smile

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 25-Apr-13 15:44:53

Lois has never sounded like Lewis to me, they must be saying it wrong.

Seraphina is fab, what pretty middle names your DDs have. And you can pick the letters for Erin out of Seraphina, (useless observation).

TallulahBetty Thu 25-Apr-13 17:32:39

I am a Lois smile late 20s. Never met another.

You would be AMAZED at the number of people who cannot say, spell, or get the correct gender for my name. Amazed.

I don't want to put you off as I do like my name, I never used to but now I can laugh as I correct people's spelling or pronunciation, it doesn't bother me these days. I frequently get complimented on it too.

KittenofDoom Thu 25-Apr-13 18:45:07

I expect a lot of it is down to people think it's a typo for Louis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now