Talk

Advanced search

boys names that inspire?

(12 Posts)
MammyG Wed 24-Apr-13 10:45:22

what boys names would you consider inspirational and why? thank you!

ClearlyDad Wed 24-Apr-13 11:10:34

If you mean on a personal level, then I'd aim for:

Kipling - Because of the poem "IF".

However, if you mean on a "linguistic/subconscious" level, then it all depends on the syllable and stress pattern of your sirname.

MammyG Wed 24-Apr-13 11:51:44

good one! am looking for peoples personal favourites. love that one

Lebkuchenlover Wed 24-Apr-13 14:15:20

People inspire me. But names are just collections of letters that we associate with people. So imo no name inspire by itself.

OkayHazel Wed 24-Apr-13 16:54:54

Really odd thing to ask imo.

People inspire.

Nelson for example. Inspiring in terms of Mandela... not so much in terms of the Simpsons.

What were you looking for OP?

MammyG Wed 24-Apr-13 18:48:07

ok sorry for being vague. it is very personal and totally get comment regarding people being inspirational not names. have given each of my children a second name that was important to me or dh based on people that inspired us. eg. Emerson (writer) Vivienne (favourite character in favourite book) etc. had interesting discussion with expecting bestie on the topic and knew if any group of women would come up with interesting names it would be ye!

ClearlyDad Thu 25-Apr-13 00:32:47

So it is people? Then again, there are some "names" I could imagine going over the top with, and others who I wouldn't take seriously... couldn't imagine taking orders from a "Clarence" or a "Geoffrey"!

MammyG Thu 25-Apr-13 08:29:55

I wanted your own personal choices and reasons...if you were to give your ds a name (first or second) after a literary, musical, philosophical (anything) person who inspired or influences you. what would that name be?

Jenda Thu 25-Apr-13 08:34:06

tricky one! I like Maya after Maya Angelo

Jenda Thu 25-Apr-13 08:35:02

oh whoops you said boys! hmmm. will have a think smile

Lebkuchenlover Thu 25-Apr-13 11:33:51

"other names who I wouldn't take seriously... couldn't imagine taking orders from a "Clarence" or a "Geoffrey"!"

Really? Why not? I've worked with (and for) all kinds of people with various names and have found, again, that it is the person's personality not his name that determines how much I like/respect them.

I know a lovely (older) Clarence and a very cool (teenage) Geoff btw.

coralanne Thu 25-Apr-13 11:53:11

The inspiration for my DS's name was a pioneer in heart surgery and the writer of of the fairystories I absolutely devoured when I was a child.

These two people truely inspired me and to this day I have not regretted
giving my DS this name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now