Talk

Advanced search

Wilf

(28 Posts)
Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 17:03:38

I have wanted to call a son Wilfred after a relative for nearly 20 years... And now, typically, it seems to be one of the names of the moment, along with my other favourites Honor, Christabel and Romy!
How many Wilfs do you know - is it going to be the next Jack?
I don't mind having lots around (our other boy's name is Charlie), but don't want it to be a name that is fashionable now and then sounds dated...
What do you think?

Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 17:05:22

PS no offence meant - I didnt mean i think Jack will be dated by the way... Just that is has been sooooo popular out of nowhere. It is my brother's name, so I love it.

pygmy Mon 15-Apr-13 17:09:24

I know 4 Wilfreds under 4 years. All in South London.

Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 17:18:12

oh.
!

Mehrida Mon 15-Apr-13 17:26:29

I don't know any up here in Scotland. I have a friend in the north east of England who considered it but went for it as a middle name instead.

If you like it, go for it.

fussychica Mon 15-Apr-13 18:07:49

Please don't do it - I think it's awful, ok as a middle name but sounds dated now, not like Jack which is classic. You might love it but will your child? Sorry.

toobreathless Mon 15-Apr-13 19:58:50

Two under 2 years, both are just Wilf not Wilfred.

Don't actually know any Jacks!

MrsBungle Mon 15-Apr-13 20:02:23

My DH really wanted to call my DS Wilf. I thought he was joking when he first suggested it! I also find it very dated, personally.

I know a couple under 3 (Midlands).

MrsBungle Mon 15-Apr-13 20:03:24

I don't think it will be the next Jack, though. I know loads and loads of Jack's.

Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 20:05:07

But that is exactly how everyone thought of Jack, when my mum called him that 35 years ago!

Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 20:05:58

Sorry, that post was meant as a reply to fussychica! As I said... Strange how things change!

Mummynotmum Tue 16-Apr-13 06:55:29

Two. In Chorlton. Both under 6.

KelleStar Tue 16-Apr-13 08:36:13

I know a 3yr old called Wilf and that's it.

DC2 is due any day now, we are thinking either William Frederick with the nickname Wilf, or Wilfred. Both seem opposite extremes when you see William is in the top 10 in 2011, yet only 13 Wilfred's in the same year.

I would go with Wilfred, but DH doesn't like his more unusual first name, but I think that it's affected by his crazy middle name and the fact his older brothers both have top 10 first and middle names. He was the last and they were hoping for a girl.

I know one Wilf, mid Somerset. He's about 6 and a bit of a dude (in a good way!)

RantyMcRantpants Tue 16-Apr-13 13:04:33

I only know one Wilf and he is the son of a MNetter who posts regularly about him and he is an incredible young man.

I love the name by the way. Go for it if you want to.

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 16-Apr-13 20:09:20

The only wilf I know of is the one that a mnetter posts about (think its her son)

I know none irl smile

Artichook Tue 16-Apr-13 20:56:41

I live in West London and have two children and through them know loads of children. I don't know any Wilfreds. Several people have talked about using it but I don't know anyone who did. It's on my list for DS due in 4 weeks but I am probably not going to use it.

pigletpower Wed 17-Apr-13 11:13:22

I know a little Wilfred Edgar. Fab name.

deXavia Wed 17-Apr-13 11:17:15

Actually I was just a little bit sad that this wasn't a Wilf update - I love them! And so for me the name is great - I associate with all his adventures and stories

EasterHoliday Wed 17-Apr-13 11:19:05

Honor and Christabel are names of the moment?? (yy to Romy)

Jayne266 Wed 17-Apr-13 11:25:31

I just keep thinking of wife I'd like to ... (WILF)

wehavearaspberry Wed 17-Apr-13 12:25:58

It's on our list - don't know of any others in the Norfolk area. Main concern is the playground ribbing about Wilf having a Milf!

pigletpower Wed 17-Apr-13 15:45:21

I know a little Wilfred Edgar. Fab name.

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Wed 17-Apr-13 20:09:54

DH and I were going to call our DS Wilfred as it was my Grandad's name and we both loved it. My Mum was really anti though and said that my Grandad hated it. It was in fact his middle name (first name Harold), but everyone called him it. It put a dampener on it for us, but I still love the name. My cousin knows 3 young Wilfs in Sussex.

wizzler Wed 17-Apr-13 20:36:27

I thought it was going to be a Wilf update too.
I love the name. Does it matter if it is associated with a particular age group?
Everyone with my name is in her mid 40s, but so what ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now