Talk

Advanced search

Etta

(28 Posts)
cookielove Sat 13-Apr-13 22:24:46

I love Evie but it is uber popular

What do you lot think of Etta?.

YoniYoniNameLeft Sat 13-Apr-13 22:25:57

I like it but would it be short for something?

FriggFRIGG Sat 13-Apr-13 22:30:21

It's on my list,I love it.
I've found lots of names it could be short for,but I also like it as a stand alone name.

chickensaladagain Sat 13-Apr-13 22:30:31

We considered etta and while I'm not opposed to nick names as proper names, I wasn't sure it was strong enough to stand up by itself

LoganMummy Sat 13-Apr-13 22:33:41

Makes me think of Etta James - love it!

(Have you considered Yoni? grin)

IAteTheCake Sat 13-Apr-13 22:33:49

Love it. I think of theEtta James....fab name

IAteTheCake Sat 13-Apr-13 22:34:13

Love it. I think of Etta James....fab name

thermalsinapril Sat 13-Apr-13 23:23:11

It sounds unfinished by itself, but would use as nickname for Coletta, Julietta, Marietta, Georgetta etc.

Love it, although depends on surname really. Loganmummy, too soon for yoni surely! Think may be top 100 next yeAr grin

Jellykitten1 Sat 13-Apr-13 23:38:11

To me, the only Etta I have ever heard of is Etta James... it would be like calling a child Beyonce, or Shakira in the sense that it's too heavily associated. Apart from that it does sound unfinished too. Its not the most feminine of sounds, quite harsh.

If you love Evie, have Evie. So what if it's popular? It's a pretty name. Or you could have Evelyn nn Evie.

do you like Elise??

nooka Sun 14-Apr-13 06:23:24

Etta James full name is Jamesetta. Etta seems like just a bit of a name to me, I don't think it stands alone well.

Eskino Sun 14-Apr-13 07:01:27

I don't like it, sorry. And I love Etta James. It does sound like a nn for Henrietta or Rosetta or the names thermals said.

LadyVoldemort Sun 14-Apr-13 07:51:38

I like it but it would need a good surname to weigh it out.

Chooster Sun 14-Apr-13 08:56:06

Love it! Etta is in my family short for rosetta.

foolserrand Sun 14-Apr-13 09:05:32

I love the name! Although, it is the name of a whore in a set of books called the liveship traders by robin hobb.

It's not a very well known story though, so hopefully won't put you off.

Natty4 Sun 14-Apr-13 13:46:17

I really love this name and have been considering it myself. However I've decided not to as I'm worried it will give ammunition to school bullies if she carried puppy fat.... "Etta lot of Mars Bars" etc. I do really like it though. Especially nn Ettie.

YoniNawNeeNaw Sun 14-Apr-13 13:48:24

Lovely name.

dyslexicdespot Sun 14-Apr-13 13:50:06

I love it! Etta would have been a strong contender if DS had been a DD. the only problem that I have with it is that it means one in my language.

LittleRedDinosaur Sun 14-Apr-13 13:50:38

Beautiful! Little Etta- such a pretty name. No less of a name than a lot of other names that are popular at the moment and, if it were my decision, I wouldn't give her a longer name that you would never use. May have to steal Etta if we have another DD......

Queazy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:41:31

Etta is beautiful. I like Ella too, or Edie/Eden xx

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 14-Apr-13 19:44:56

I like it but it does sound a bit un finished to me. I have a Greta.

navada Sun 14-Apr-13 19:51:00

It's lovely :-) & obviously becoming one of the 'now names' as a friend has just called her little girl Etta.

ChoudeBruxelles Sun 14-Apr-13 19:56:28

Makes me think of the basque separatist group

spottyparrot Sun 14-Apr-13 20:03:45

Agree with Choude. ETA is pronounced the same way as Etta. I think it would be an awful choice and you should go with Evie. Popular names are popular because lots of people like them, it isn't a bad thing! I actually only know one Evie anyway.

KittenOfDoom Sun 14-Apr-13 22:57:47

It's not really enough by itself. In the case of Etta James, it was short for her given name of Jamesetta.

ah, someone already said that. But still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now