Talk

Advanced search

How much do initials matter?

(12 Posts)
Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:11:27

We're only 7 weeks in so not deciding on names yet but can't help thinking about it - DH was saying it's traditional to use a relatives name for the middle names? However not too keen on the boys family names he suggested as middle names blush We could use DH's name which is nice but with one of the first names we like, that gives the initials 'JAP' - does that sound a bit weird to you? Does that matter?

everlong Wed 10-Apr-13 14:25:35

I don't think it really matters in the great scheme of things.

TheOrchardKeeper Wed 10-Apr-13 14:35:35

just make sure it's not something weird.

My initials are NHS.

thanks mum grin

Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 16:19:29

Well that's the thing - do you think the initials 'JAP' are a bit weird? Or ok?

snice Wed 10-Apr-13 16:21:31

Ok. Bad would be BUM or TIT
(lowers tone)

TheOrchardKeeper Wed 10-Apr-13 16:35:37

They're not weird! They don't mean anything and don't sound too clunky or anything smile

I had a friend with the initials COK and she never lived it down. All her boyfriends apparently 'loved a bit of cok' - her own family made the initial joke, albeit not her actual parents!!

Alexandra6 Wed 10-Apr-13 16:39:23

Well I googled it and it said it was short for 'Japanese' but was considered an ethnic slur?!

I could put in another middle name, but I think one middle name is neater?

Yes it's def better than BUM, TIT and COK! grin

fussychica Wed 10-Apr-13 17:05:49

JAP is fine but like the others said BUM etc are out.

Coconutty Wed 10-Apr-13 17:08:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sjupes Wed 10-Apr-13 17:21:37

My dp is a bj grin every now and again i call him it - he thinks it's an offer <really lowers tone> grin

I'd say JAP initials are fine, my son spells JAW, my neice LAW and we have a load of mumbo jumbo letter combos too smile

Dumdeedumdeedum Thu 11-Apr-13 21:14:10

I'm a JAB and that has never been a problem. I also has a friend who was JCB she was also never teased about it.

Umlauf Fri 12-Apr-13 09:33:09

Can you have AJP but call him the J? My brothers is HCH and his name is the C. My mum is ALH and goes by the L. There were also a few people at school who had this too, its not too uncommon and you could still use all your preferred names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now