Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Baby girl due in 3 days, still no name. Help!

(102 Posts)
aufaniae Mon 08-Apr-13 11:46:56

I'm struggling to find "the one". Ideally I'd like something which goes with DS's name, which we love. DS's name is:

- Celtic (our DCs have have strong Scottish & Welsh heritage, and also Irish if you go a bit further back).

- pre-Christian

- has an interesting story attached

- is not a top-100 name

DD's name doesn't have to meet all (or any!) of those criteria, but it'd be nice if it did.

Probably totally outing myself as a hippy at heart! But I have this image of her as a windswept, independent young girl standing on a hill, out in the elements, leaning into the wind (no idea where this image came from, but it's persisted in my head while pregnant). I also had a dream in which her name was Estelle, and also Star. I wouldn't use either of these in RL, but the meaning star is nice.

Back to reality, we had a 4D scan. She looks like her brother - very full lips. When I saw her the word "rosebud" pupped into my mind, although this is not something I'd use in RL.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

JammySplodger Mon 08-Apr-13 11:50:19

How about just Rose?

SoupDragon Mon 08-Apr-13 11:54:41

Seren is Welsh for star. Huuuugly popular in Wales though but not elsewhere. There are loads of beautiful Welsh girls names.

fanjodisfunction Mon 08-Apr-13 12:16:07

Was also going to suggest Seren.

Coffee1Sugar Mon 08-Apr-13 12:19:49

Definitely seren!

fanjodisfunction Mon 08-Apr-13 12:24:13

Seren Rose is an lovely name.

aufaniae Mon 08-Apr-13 12:29:24

Thanks for the replies smile

I can't use Seren as that's the name of a friend's DD. It's on the list of names we've considered and rejected, perhaps I should post them!

I'm keen to have a name that's not particularly popular atm, so I'm afraid Rose is out! (As are May and Grace).

fanjodisfunction Mon 08-Apr-13 12:30:34

Yeah post the names that you like so we can suggest more.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 08-Apr-13 12:36:29

Roisinn
Yseult
Cerridwen

sparkle9 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FunSizedMum Mon 08-Apr-13 13:06:14

What about Awen? ( Pronounced Ahh - wen) It's from the welsh word for dream or inspiration I think, and is that rarest of beasts... the easy to spell/say welsh name! I knew an Awen once and she was a garden designer, all swirly skirts and dirty finger nails. Lovely!

FunSizedMum Mon 08-Apr-13 13:13:05

Oooh! Just thought of another one... What about Rhosyn which is again a welsh name that means Rose.

TCforTopCat Mon 08-Apr-13 13:21:00

Have you thought of Tara.
Celtic connection as in the Hill of Tara and in Sanskrit means star.

bridgetsmum Mon 08-Apr-13 13:23:22

Bridget smile

bridgetsmum Mon 08-Apr-13 13:25:21

To add, Bridget means "strong willed" or "exalted one"

aufaniae Mon 08-Apr-13 13:25:49

OK, here goes - some names we've considered but none are "the one"

Nia/ Niamh
Carys
Cerys
Fallon
Astrid
Mhairi
Mari
Mara
Estelle
Ester
Etta
Roisin
Aoife
Eirlys
Enfys
Llinos (love this but just not fair to choose a name with the LL sound which the English will really struggle with)

*Spring names*:

Persephone
Olwen
Freya
Maia
Ostara

Snow names (on account of the unseasonal snow this year)

Eira
Eiriol

soontobeslendergirl Mon 08-Apr-13 13:31:59

Lorna - this would be my choice smile

Eithne
Morvern
Tierney

JammySplodger Mon 08-Apr-13 13:38:56

I love Ester / Esther and Carys. Would Roison be pronounced Rhosheen? (quite like that too)

aufaniae Mon 08-Apr-13 14:03:06

You're right of course Jammy, Esther is the right spelling isn't it. It's a lovely name but out as I have a good friend with the name already.
Roisin is pronounced "ro-sheen" IIRC.

FWIW DP's favourites, which I like but not sure about are:

Fallon
Roisin
Mhairi (pronounced Marry)

I like these, but yet to convince myself they're "the one", haven't tried very hard to convince DP yet!

Carys
Mari (pronounced Mahr- ee, emphasis on the first syllable)
Etta

We both like Persephone, but it really doesn't go with DS's name IMO.

JammySplodger Mon 08-Apr-13 14:07:09

Would you shorten Persephone for everyday?

aufaniae Mon 08-Apr-13 14:13:52

I reckon you'd have to! Sephy perhaps? Or Percy grin But I'm not overly on either.

I do like Cari as a NN for Carys, but not sure Carys really goes with the surname (she'll be having DP's surname with mine as a middle name, plus another non-surname middle name - haven't got to that yet!).

Mari and Mhairi go well with the surname IMO. But do I like either of them enough? Not sure yet!

I'm dithering aren't i?!

FWIW I wasn't at all sure about DS's name till after I met him. I have had a sneak preview of DD though!

BlueChampagne Mon 08-Apr-13 14:22:21

Vashti en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vashti

aufaniae Mon 08-Apr-13 14:39:22

Ooh, Vashti, what a great feminist name! Was it mentioned on that feminist name thread the other day I wonder?

Not sure if it's the one for DD though, will have a think.

Coffee1Sugar Mon 08-Apr-13 15:00:36

Cecily
Martha
Verity
Bethany
Imogen

Thisisanoutrage Mon 08-Apr-13 15:10:02

Rowan
Hester
Wren
Hebe

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: