Talk

Advanced search

Thomas and Toby- brothers names?

(14 Posts)
Lemonrainbow Sat 06-Apr-13 22:06:56

I already have a 3 yr old Thomas and am about to have a other boy. I really like the name Toby but wonder whether the names are too similar? Particularly the shortened versions- Tom and Tobs.... What do you think? Don't want to be twee, just that Toby is my favourite name!
Many thanks

Bowlersarm Sat 06-Apr-13 22:07:46

I think it would be fine

olivertheoctopus Sat 06-Apr-13 22:16:35

Personally I'm not a fan of having siblings with the same initials but I don't think the names are too similar at all if you don't mind the same initial thing.

specialknickers Sun 07-Apr-13 20:44:15

I read this two together and I immediately think Thomas the Tank engine, sorry!

**disclaimer: am parent to a 3 year old boy

KatoPotato Sun 07-Apr-13 20:47:14

I immediately thought 'Thomas and Friends' but I also have a 3yo boy!

Ham69 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:37:00

I wouldn't because of Thomas the Tank Engine (though that does mean you'd have to rule out James, Edward, Percy, Gordon and Henry to name but a few!) Also not keen on same sex siblings sharing an initial.
Having said that, if you love the name, it wouldn't be that bad.
What else do you like?

Lemonrainbow Sun 07-Apr-13 21:42:59

Quite like Ollie too, but not Oliver. Didn't even think of Thomas the tank engine when we named Thomas...and his middle name is Edward!!

amandasegal Sun 07-Apr-13 21:43:20

i think both names match perfectly together. and Toby is a great name!

invicta Sun 07-Apr-13 21:44:41

I think the two names are lovely together.

specialknickers Sun 07-Apr-13 21:51:39

Don't let the tank engine thing stop you though. DS1 shares a name with one of the newer engines on Sodor and I'm still lobbying for Thomas as the name for our new baby if it's a boy.

Ham69 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:25:50

Thomas Edward is great, wouldn't worry about that! It's just the initial thought with 2 siblings together i think. I know 2 brothers called Thomas and James, and around toddler age I remember a few people referring to them as 'those boys with train names'. Daft really and once you're past the Thomas the tank era, you wouldn't really think about it!
I like Ollie. What about Laurie?

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-Apr-13 06:54:11

I don't like the shared initial thing - purely because I remember it being a pain in the arse when I lived at home since me and my sibling share one.

SweepTheHalls Mon 08-Apr-13 07:03:20

I know a set of brothers called Toby and Thomas and it works really well.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 08-Apr-13 07:06:38

We have an 8 year old Thomas and 3 year old Oliver who gets called Ollie, my niece and nephew both begin with a T and my nephew is Toby but the names sound silly together, Thomas and Toby are ok. If dc3 is a boy we will call it Max.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now