Talk

Advanced search

Naming Etiquette with friends

(9 Posts)
thepartysover Tue 02-Apr-13 19:09:48

Purely by coincidence, (close) friends of ours have chosen the same second name for their baby as we had decided on for ours. Without going too much into it, we chose the name as a way of getting a reference to my side of the family into the name as the baby will have my DP's surname. The other thing is that I'd put money on the couple in question being massively irritated about us picking the same name as them, regardless of circumstance. What would you do?

Madamecastafiore Tue 02-Apr-13 19:11:12

It's a second name! Seriously how many of your acquaintances second names do you know? Probably not many, that's how important second names are.

smother Tue 02-Apr-13 19:55:45

don't worry about it, esp as it's only a second name. Names are for lifetime after
all.

CheshireDing Tue 02-Apr-13 20:06:19

We have 2 sets of close friends whose babies are 1 year apart, they both haves the same middle name.

I have always thought it's a bit odd and why could the 2nd couple not think of another name.

Sorry, just my experience.

If you love it and it's your favourite name though you shouldn't not use it.

OkayHazel Tue 02-Apr-13 20:47:05

Just keep your name.

Two twins I went to school with have, within 2 weeks of each other, both had daughters with hyphenated -May first names.

It definitely could be worse for you OP!

Coconutty Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

idiot55 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:08

if you love it and want to use it do so, any true friends would be delighted that your children will have a second name in common, if they think otherwise then are they true friends?

hawkmcqueen Tue 02-Apr-13 20:58:50

My son and his best friend (they're only turning 4!) share the same middle name and were only born 3 weeks apart. Because it was a family name for both families. It has never been an issue and is now a lovely thing that they both share :-) You can't own a name but you can share one!

thepartysover Tue 02-Apr-13 21:13:16

Thanks all, that's really good to hear. Yes, I realise it's only a second name, but it's more my friends' reaction that bothers me. As it happens we don't know what we're having - so all of this may be superfluous... we shall see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now