Talk

Advanced search

Different Spellings of Names

(5 Posts)
skratta Mon 01-Apr-13 21:39:12

Traditional, modern etc;

Like, I know three girls called Kayleigh, two called Kayley and two called Kaileigh and a baby girl called Kailey. It's quite common in the USA, where we are. I personally like Kayley and that's all.

Or Aaron. I like this spelling. My (Jewish btw) ancestors spelt it Aharon, and I've seen some people around other sites called Aron or Arron.

And then names like Susannah. My spelling. Susanna, Susana, and more.

Lukas and Lucas

What sort of names? Modern spellings, traditional spellings, any other things?

UniqueAndAmazing Mon 01-Apr-13 21:53:49

katherine Catherine kathryn cathryn katharine.

historical changes mostly.

soontobeslendergirl Mon 01-Apr-13 22:09:49

Sometimes the names just come from different heritages, to use your Aaron example - there is also an Island in Scotland called Arran so that spelling is commenly used. Sometimes people just can't spell though.

For example take the name Keir - there are two legitimate traditional spellings - Keir which comes from the Scottish surname and Ciar which is gaelic and means Dark or Swarthy. Sometimes people will spell it as Kier which is taken as the original form of Kieran. Then you get all the adaptions of that Kyron, Kieron etc etc.

MimiSunshine Mon 01-Apr-13 22:17:28

Linzie, Lyndsey, Lindsay, Lindsey
Lucy, Lucie
Molly, Mollie
Kerry, Kerrie, Kerri, Keri, Ceri - but if you're in the USA,this (and all if its different spellings) is a different name to Carrie

KittenOfDoom Tue 02-Apr-13 01:45:34

It's sometimes difficult to establish an exact spelling when the name has come from a language with a different alphabet - Greek, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now