Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for baby name needed...

(22 Posts)
cmh18 Mon 01-Apr-13 11:40:40

First baby is due in 9 weeks. My problem is I've not come across any names that I like or that I would want to call my baby. I've never met anyone with the same name as me so that makes it weird for me to give my baby a name that I've heard on other people. Definitely couldn't have a name that would appear in a most popular names list and would be gutted if my child ended up sitting in a classroom of full of kids with the same name!! Don't know if I'm having a boy or girl xx

soontobeslendergirl Mon 01-Apr-13 13:27:03

Any particular culture? Long names/short names? Old fashioned or Modern? Nick Names or not?

Osbert
Irvine
Merrick

Rozelle
Audra
Celeste

cmh18 Mon 01-Apr-13 16:54:46

I have no idea, my list of names totals zero, had no idea it would be this hard!! X

EdithWeston Mon 01-Apr-13 16:59:36

So you want seeming that is definitely a name, but is not really in use for say under-40s at the moment?

Boys: Jessamy, Emerson, Godfrey, Aethelstan, Bede, Cuthbert, Roger, Kenelm?

Girls: Euterpe, Gertrude, Esperanza, Xaviera, Marjorie, Maxine, Foxglove?

fanjodisfunction Mon 01-Apr-13 17:05:28

Girls-
Isis
Hera
Maeve
Calisto

Boys-
Cyril
Cecil
Ranolph
Marius

RalphtheTimid Mon 01-Apr-13 17:20:01

April Agrima or Averil Aadi.

DessieLou Tue 02-Apr-13 01:09:20

Ariella for a girl & Fifer for a boy :-D

jellybeans Tue 02-Apr-13 17:56:05

Lucinda
Leonie
Briony
Rosa
Tabatha

Evan
Blake
Flynn
Quentin
Nico

fussychica Tue 02-Apr-13 19:30:31

Pick something that goes with your surname, suits a person not just a baby, remember if you go for something very unusual your child has to get through school - I think this is especially true for unusual boys names.

cmh18 Wed 03-Apr-13 09:10:55

Fussychica, I agree about the school thing, I have an unusual name which most people say they've never heard, but its quite a simple/straightforward sounding name so it's never caused me problems. I wouldn't want something too over the top!! I did like Eden for a boy (my dads called Ed and my grandad was Denis) but most sites refer to it as a girls name sad xx

EdithWeston Wed 03-Apr-13 09:24:18

Eden is traditionally a boys name, but has been used on both because of an 80s soap, which also took the traditional Maryan girls name Cruz and put in on a male character. I's expect an unseen Eden to be a boy; but such is the grip of the telly, it's probably unisex now.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 03-Apr-13 09:25:26

I know a baby boy who is an Eden, and it never struck me as a girl's name!

I'm having similar problems. My name was unusual growing up (very popular now, but mine is spelled in an unusual way). My husband has a very common name for his generation, and I (like you) want something kind of unique, but dh thinks they're all too weird!

I like Eden though.

MortifiedAdams Wed 03-Apr-13 09:27:46

What about Ember for a girl?

cmh18 Wed 03-Apr-13 09:32:26

Thanks for the feedback on Eden, I saw it on a list of names and assumed boy, oh tells mr there's a Belgian footballer with that name ( that appeals to me as my name is Belgian due to my grandparents being from there). I like ember but I think of it as a word not a name, I'd thought about amber but oh doesn't really like it xx

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 03-Apr-13 12:03:06

Colette
Danielle
Greer
Ingrid
Lara
Opal
Paz
Roxanne
Virginia
Zoe

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 03-Apr-13 12:04:45

Axel
Dieter
Laurence
Nils
Tyrone

TROGGY Wed 03-Apr-13 19:22:18

I work at a schl, and there is many Alfie's, stanley, harry's, jaydens, joshua, callums, finlays and now its ronnie, riley's (girl and boy), .We even have a romeo, prince, moses. My 2 lads are called Beau and Ike. If I had a girl I would have called her Estee. I pulled their names out of a hat, and i got what i wanted, phew..

fussychica Wed 03-Apr-13 20:03:55

Eden is interesting - I like it for boy or girl although I thought Aden when I read it in a male context. Think it would likely be shortened to Ed but it's unusual not silly.

KittenOfDoom Wed 03-Apr-13 20:21:15

I like Eden for a boy as a combination of your family names. It's unusual but not too out there, and is adaptable too if he doesn't like the name himself.

baskingseals Wed 03-Apr-13 21:01:24

Athene

Tatiana

Lois

Greta

Hazel

Orion

Xavier

Cassius

really like Ike grin

invicta Wed 03-Apr-13 21:06:48

Boys - Bruno, Dewi, Dafydd, Mark, Peter, Jeremy, Cliff, Clive, Brett,

Girls - Doris, Dorothy, Esme, Carys, Petra, Rowena, Richmal, heather,

RalphtheTimid Wed 03-Apr-13 22:31:53

Avery

Wren

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now