Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of changing my 9 month old's name

(12 Posts)
agnesrose86 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:40:22

We really struggled to name our second son and ended up calling him a really common name which neither me or my husband really like. I want to start calling him by his middle name which is much more unusual. Is that terrible? Do you think 9 months is too old to change? Has anyone else changed their baby's name?

fanjodisfunction Sun 31-Mar-13 19:43:40

Many people are known by their middle names, my nan and grandad were known by their middle names. If the name suits him I don't see a problem.

Also my bf at school went by her middle name.

Wossname Sun 31-Mar-13 19:44:50

Depends on if you use his first name all of the time and he knows it? If not then can't see why just swapping the order around on birth certificate and making sure you use new name consistently would be a big deal.

KristinaM Sun 31-Mar-13 19:50:24

My SIL changed my nieces name when she was about 12months old.we all thought she was mad but it didn't cause any problems for anyone . We spent a few months saying " Jade I mean Melissa " but we soon got over it.

So I don't think 9 montsh is too old to change.

williaminajetfighter Sun 31-Mar-13 20:27:59

Yes. Just do it. Your perogative.

Frikadellen Sun 31-Mar-13 21:15:26

Just go for it if it feels right.

Viviennemary Sun 31-Mar-13 22:20:58

I don't think 9 months is too old to change and if you leave it any longer you will only think I wish I'd done it ages ago. Just do it.

LadyMedea Sun 31-Mar-13 23:06:58

My husband is known by his middle name, family tradition. Never caused problems as long as you use the full name on legal, NHS, school etc.

If you want to just do it. Sooner the better.

Doodledumdums Sun 31-Mar-13 23:18:50

My parents changed my name when I was about 18 months old, so I don't think 9 months is too old, I don't even remember being called my previous name! The only thing I would say though, is make sure that you change it properly, as my parents didn't (not entirely sure what they did wrong!!), and so my passport and driving licence remain in my old name, which isn't really an issue as such, but is a bit weird for me as I have never identified with this name, so means I have to remember when booking holidays etc. If I wasn't so disorganised then I would finish what they started and get it changed properly, but I never seem to get round to it! I think that they didn't do it by deed pole which they should have done, they just paid a solicitor to write a letter which is attached to my birth certificate which says that as of that particular date my name was changed...but it seems that this isn't sufficient for some things.

Yamyoid Sun 31-Mar-13 23:20:59

Mine was changed at 6 months from something really common and ordinary and I'm glad. Do it!

Tacal Sun 31-Mar-13 23:37:06

I changed DS's middle name when he was 16 month's old. It made me so happy when I received the birth certificate with his new name on it. If you really want to do it then you should definitely do it. 9 months is not too old.

agnesrose86 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:50:25

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. That's really helpful. We call him a range of nicknames and shortened versions of his current name so I don't think he really knows what his name is. I just have to convince my 3 year old now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now