Talk

Advanced search

Really struggling with boys names.

(20 Posts)
Thingiebob Sun 24-Mar-13 16:24:44

I like Gabriel - DH likes it but convinced child will be teased at school and called a 'Gaylord' or something hmm Not something that ever occurred to me and I went to school with a few boys with this name.

I also like Jacob but have now been made aware that it is really common, in the top ten baby names, then again my daughter's name is as well. Neither DH or I like Jake as the shortened form.

The other contender (which I am not so sure about as I am a bit boring and it feels a bit 'trendy') is Jude. DH loves it. Doesn't go with chosen middle name which is Harold in memory of both our Grandads.

It's getting a bit depressing. Can we just call him 'Boy'?

Any opinions? Can't ask family as I know they will hate all of them.

sunnysunnyshine Sun 24-Mar-13 16:30:01

Love Gabriel! Met quite a few recently so if it's becoming more popular then it's less likely he'd be teased for it I reckon.

Not so keen on Jude. Agree it's a bit trendy...

ZolaBuddleia Sun 24-Mar-13 16:31:57

I'm very helpfully going to say I love both Gabriel and Jude. I don't think Gabriel goes any better with Harold than Jude.

gertrudestein Sun 24-Mar-13 16:32:20

Love Jacob and Jude ... Gabriel is also a lovely name but I think it does depend where you live. Where I grew up that would have been fine; where I live now it would probably be seen as a bit pretentious.

If you like the 'J' sound then how about Joseph or Joshua or George? Or something slightly more unusual like Jackson, Dajngo ...

Thingiebob Sun 24-Mar-13 16:39:38

Django - LOL!

DH is Joseph

Quite like George.

No Gabriel gets called 'gay' does he? And kid will always find something to tease you about.

sandberry Sun 24-Mar-13 16:45:03

Gabriel is fine and getting very popular so it is unlikely he'll be the only one in a class. I doubt a Gabriel would get any more teasing than anyone else.

Jude is lovely and goes better with Harold I think.

Jacob is popular but nice, could shorten to Coby if you hate Jake.

Your post made me think that Boy would be quite a nice name though, why not? after all people are called Guy

Snazzynewyear Sun 24-Mar-13 16:45:33

I'd prefer Gabriel to Jude. Also like George. And yes, there will always be something to make fun of.

specialknickers Sun 24-Mar-13 16:51:33

Thingiebob, I feel your pain! In fact, these are some of my favourite names and they've been rejected or similar reasons. Others I like that you can knick if you want:

Tommy (although Thomas is a bit too popular)
Joe
Sam (doesn't go with our surname)
Rufus (dh has gone off this now)
Victor (I have, although is DH's current fave)
Linus (was supposed to be ds1's name but I got cold feet at the last minute!)

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 24-Mar-13 18:13:02

Gabriel is a smashing name.
Jude is less frequent than George.
Anything from Twilight eg Jacob will be pretty popular now.

How about Guy?

Or going off at a tangent, Dexter?

jkklpu Sun 24-Mar-13 22:38:13

Gabriel is great. If you're worried, how about Reuben, which is popular enough so that people can spell it? Well, usually.
Joshua
Noah

Yfronts Sun 24-Mar-13 22:59:32

Gabriel can be Gabe. Great name
Theres also Jed, Joel ...

Gugglebum Mon 25-Mar-13 01:47:02

My Gabriel is just 12 and hasn't ever had that sort of teasing. It is a most excellent name, and we've never regretted it one day since he was born.

Kyrptonite Mon 25-Mar-13 09:58:43

I like Boy. It could work grin

Dislike Gabriel
If you go with Jacob someone at some point will shorten it to Jake
Jude is ok.

Thingiebob Wed 27-Mar-13 10:41:05

Think we are going with Jude Gabriel. It's my last child and I want to name him something I really like. I like my daughter's name but it is very safe and common.

Family are probably going to freak/sneer/or do this hmm

BuggedByJake Wed 27-Mar-13 10:45:12

I love Jude & quite like Gabriel too.Jacob is popular but not 'common' sounding.
Jude is definitely my favorite.

dinkystinky Wed 27-Mar-13 10:45:53

You could shorten Jacob to Jay.

Gabriel is a lovely name - D's has a friend with that name and no play ground teasing so far (in yr 2).

bootsycollins Wed 27-Mar-13 10:49:57

I love Gabriel, always have, Jude Gabriel is a beautiful combination smile

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 27-Mar-13 10:53:42

Jude Gabriel sounds great, go for it. smile

Do you know it would be so novel to hear for once "I told my Mum/sister/family we were calling our baby (name) and they loved it, we were thrilled".

I naively thought, "We are thinking of such + such" not "Oh please slag it off and rubbish our taste!" would show whoever asked about our choices that we liked it and were keen on it! confused

We had this negative reaction from my parents over a girl's name we considered for DC1, really put us off, turned out we had a boy first. Had been so discouraged we didn't use it when DD came along later.

Rant over!

Commander Thu 28-Mar-13 19:56:13

Jude Gabriel is perfect grin well done for choosing what you love rather than pleasing everyone else. Although I can't see why everyone else wouldn't love this too!

nectarini1983 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:30:44

Gabriel is my favourite of your choices.

Choose what u like, not what you think will get the least reaction. Once baby is here and named people just accept it and move on....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now