Talk

Advanced search

Emily (too popular?) vs Emilia (likely to be mis-heard as Amelia?)

(25 Posts)
Sokmonsta Thu 21-Mar-13 23:20:45

I have an Emily. Until she started school, she was the only one we knew/heard regularly.

Now she's at school, they have big Emily, Middle Emily and Little Emily. She thinks its great.

Laquila Thu 21-Mar-13 14:04:19

I like both Emily and Emilia, but I think Emmeline is gorgeous.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 21-Mar-13 04:24:11

I second Emmeline. I have one and her NN is Emmy. Not very popular, only one I know of is Christian Bale's daughter and one I met on a plane grin Also, good connotations with Emmeline Pankhurst.

OkayHazel Thu 21-Mar-13 01:49:57

I'm Felicity. It's a great name. ;)

MrsAceRimmer Wed 20-Mar-13 16:19:12

I think Emily is a beautiful name (bit biased as its DDs name). I think it depends where in the country you live. I live in NE Scotland, and there's hardly any here smile
We were going to use Milly or Emmy as a nn, but we never do.

insancerre Wed 20-Mar-13 16:12:11

I haven't had an Emily in my nursery for years
Amelia is more common
I have heard Amelie recently, which is lovely

Pigsmummy Wed 20-Mar-13 16:09:22

I was a bit gutted that Emma was so popular in 2012 when it wasn't in 2011 and we called ours that, however in all the baby groups I haven't found another Emma, there is only one Emily too. just go with what you want to call your daughter, she will be individual even if there are other girls with the same first name.

MoonHare Wed 20-Mar-13 16:03:11

My eldest is in reception, there are two Amelia's and one Emily in her class of 26. Amelia is currently no. 1 girls name. If popularity bothers you then steer away from both Emily and Emilia - it's so similar, even if it is statistically less common.

Milly isn't actually all that popular (outside the top 100) and it peaked about 10 years ago so she would be unlikely to have any peers of the same name. So if you prefer it and want to avoid choosing a name she would share with classmates then go with Milly.

By the way, Felicity is lovely, perhaps DP will change his mind when he's seen you give birth?!

MrsJohnDeere Wed 20-Mar-13 15:39:43

Emilia much more popular/common than Emily here

llamallama Wed 20-Mar-13 15:24:57

Popularity does bother me somewhat but mostly because I have a name that was top 5 for several years when I was born, so I grew up never being the "only one" and always having to go by my full name or initials!

I wish I could convince my DH to go with Felicity. Sigh.

shoobidoo Wed 20-Mar-13 14:14:55

Both names are VERY widely used already. Think Emily was THE number one name a few years ago and Emilia/Amelia/Amelie must be pretty high up the lists. Perhaps popularity doesn't bother you though.

littlermissstan Wed 20-Mar-13 13:58:55

I am an Emily, and it would never ever have occured to me to have Millie as a nn - always been Em, Ems, Emmy.

There were 3 in my year at school and I hear it shouted across shops all the time, so clearly quite cross-generational! I am named after this Emily so perhaps was also popular in the 1870s too...

WormCanner Wed 20-Mar-13 13:52:42

Emily was horribly old-fashioned for decades. It's more of a cyclical name than a true classic. It was an "old lady" name when I was young.

As for Milly, the village where I live is full of dogs called Milly, Molly or Tilly. Most unimaginative.

ZolaBuddleia Wed 20-Mar-13 13:39:57

Emmeline?

llamallama Wed 20-Mar-13 12:24:32

Oh thank you all

I'm surprised actually...I thought you would all come back with stories of lots and lots of Emilys everywhere! I think Emily is my preference over Emilia.

Like the possibility of having Emmy as a nickname too!

notimefors Wed 20-Mar-13 11:30:26

I know a few Amelia and Emilias. No Emilys!
I think Emilia is nice but more faddy and will date more than Emily.

LeslieWink1e Wed 20-Mar-13 11:24:24

OOOOOOOOOps, whoops. It's Milly you really want?

LeslieWink1e Wed 20-Mar-13 11:22:31

Dislike Milly as well. Milly Molly Mandy Twirly Wirly names aren't msaa

LeslieWink1e Wed 20-Mar-13 11:21:06

I would pick Emily over Amelia or Emilia. I think that names ending in -ia are more of the moment, so altogether the sophias, Olivias, Amelias, Lucias may date a bit more. All names date I know but some names retain a 'solidity' despite not being so fashionable. Emily is one of those names. I think Emily is more classic. The spread of ages of Emilys is more diverse, and that seems like a good thing to me. Although plenty of people wouldn't care at all about that.

Theas18 Wed 20-Mar-13 10:55:09

There is a smattering of Emilys in all my 3 kids social circles. The 19yr old has a mate called Emilia, as does the 17yr old. Both have vaguely polish/middle european family associations. Both called " melia" for short.

Emily IMHO are pretty evenly spread around the ages of my kids through to the tinies I see. Emilia isn't common in the small kids round here.

Milly however is dead common I'm afraid, usually hyphenated and cutesy.

llamallama Wed 20-Mar-13 09:24:53

I think we would use Emily and Milly, rather than just Milly. We would primarily use her "proper name" but it would be nice to have a nick name as well.

ladymia Wed 20-Mar-13 08:52:49

Personally I don't get the logic. You like Emily but you're going to call her something different (Milly) because Emily is too popular?

Pick a name you like and use it? Don't pick a name you like but use another name because you regret using it almost before using it due to it's popularity.

XBenedict Wed 20-Mar-13 08:18:19

I have an Emily, she has no other Emily friends, there are no Emilys in her class however there are a couple in the school. I always thought her nickname would be Milly and sometimes I call her Milly but when DS came along he couldn't say Emily and called her Emmy and it's kind of stuck. She prefers Emmy to Milly (I prefer Milly but hey ho!)

Out of Emilia and Amelia I prefer Amelia for the reasons you state, correcting her name for the rest of her life but both very pretty smile

GooseyLoosey Wed 20-Mar-13 08:17:58

I don't know any Emilys but there are 2 Emilias in dd's class - each parent was horrified to discover the existence of the other!

llamallama Wed 20-Mar-13 08:14:23

Any thoughts?

We like Emily and Emilia, will use the nick name Millie I should think.

But am struggling to choose between the two!

Love Emily but am worried that its just too popular and we will come across dozens at every toddler group. Also can you really use the nick name Millie for Emily??

Love Emilia too but on that one I'm worried that she will spend her whole life saying "no not Amelia, Emilia, with an E"! But I think the nick name Millie works better!

Anyone with an Emily or Emilia care to share your thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now