Talk

Advanced search

Matilda, Grace or Aoife?

(24 Posts)
rundontwalk Tue 12-Mar-13 16:44:37

Would love some help! Which do you prefer? Surname is 2 syllables, begins with S and ends in a 'ee' sound. We often have to spell it for people,hence DH being worried about Aoife (we have alot of Irish relatives but are in UK).

We already have an Aidan & like the names Eva & Imogen too but they aren't quite right.

Please be kind,am nearly 35wks & feeling a bit down-hoping sorting a name might cheer me up smile

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 12-Mar-13 17:39:36

Grace

Matilda is going to be soooo popular

TWinklyLittleStar Tue 12-Mar-13 17:44:48

I love the name Aoife, but living in England you're setting her up for a lifetime of "Aoife" "What, Eva?" "No... ee-fa".

Matilda will be shortened to Tilly, and is very popular, but nice, as is Grace.

Still18atheart Tue 12-Mar-13 17:46:26

Matilda and Grace are both lovely

Not Aoife purely because I have no idea how pronounce it

Whyriskit Tue 12-Mar-13 17:53:52

I really like Matilda and Grace. Could have nickname Tilda instead of Tilly. I do like Aoife but there would be issues with spelling and pronounciation.

kelhen Tue 12-Mar-13 17:55:58

Love Aoife but have a colleague with that name that usually ends up being called Aaofee by non Irish people.

sooperdooper Tue 12-Mar-13 18:06:58

I love Aoife, Mathilda is very popular and Grace I'm not keen on

WhiteHairReally Tue 12-Mar-13 18:16:54

We have a Grace how is 18 now and really likes her name.

And I felt terribly 'down' at the same time in both my pregnancies and when I mentioned it on the NCT circuit, there was embarrassed silence. It was only afterwards that several women said quietly to me that they had/were feeling like that too, but were afraid to say, because it was supposed to be 'such a happy time' 'you must be so excited' etc etc.

Not sure how much this helps.

rundontwalk Tue 12-Mar-13 19:14:16

Thanks everyone,food for thought!

& whitehair it's so kind of you to share that. I think a combination of a difficult birth + unexpected additional needs in our 1st dc has meant lots of things feel a bit 'raw' this time around. Then factor in hormones etc & all of a sudden I'm a bit down. Good (iyswim) to hear it's normal at this stage! As ever,the kindness of strangers never fails to cheer me up smile

thezebrawearspurple Tue 12-Mar-13 19:42:20

Love Grace and Mathilda, Aoife is beautiful but I can understand not using it if you are worried about a lifetime of her explaining it to people!

ellesabe Tue 12-Mar-13 19:44:55

Matilda, with Grace as a mn

renaldo Tue 12-Mar-13 20:56:42

Aoife is lovely

SanityClause Tue 12-Mar-13 21:01:18

Aoife, then Matilda, then Grace.

All nice, though.

MissLurkalot Tue 12-Mar-13 21:01:24

Grace is lovely, Matilda or Tilly or Tilda lovely too..
But sorry, it's a no for Aoife.
I know someone, a little girl, and she gets called 'Oife' a in , 'oi you!'.. Slightly disrespectfully too. :-(
How about Ciava Grace?

FranKatzenjammer Tue 12-Mar-13 22:02:13

Aoife is lovely. I live in a part of England with quite a large Irish population and I think lots of people here would know how to pronounce it. I've met several little girls with that name.

rundontwalk Fri 10-May-13 16:37:33

Update as previously requested! In the end we had a last min change of heart and went with Erin Elizabeth. Thanks for all your help smile

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Fri 10-May-13 16:43:36

Aw, I was about to post to vote Aoife and then read the update.

Congratulations on your new arrival. Lovely choice. Enjoy those newborn snuggles.

Decoy Fri 10-May-13 19:46:48

Congratulations!

CoffeePleaseSir Fri 10-May-13 19:47:41

Matilda smile love it.
Grace is lovely but there are so many.

AKissIsNotAContract Fri 10-May-13 19:54:47

Congratulations, Erin is a lovely name

meryb100 Fri 10-May-13 20:21:48

Grace! no doubt!

themaltesecat Sat 11-May-13 11:35:20

All dreadful. But Erin Elizabeth is gorgeous. Congrats! thanks

JohnSnowsTie Sat 11-May-13 19:27:16

Have an Aoife so am biased. I was worried about the spelling/pronunciation at first but have been surprised by how many people are familiar with the name, and we don't live in a particularly Irish area.

JohnSnowsTie Sat 11-May-13 19:28:56

Argh sorry! Lovely choice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now