Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Romilly

(22 Posts)
MrsCuldesac Mon 11-Feb-13 19:55:14

When we named our Romily - just one L - we thought it was pretty unique. And then . . . there was already one Romily when she joined secondary school - and now one of her best friends is another Romily, who's attended the same college. They call each other "Other Me". They don't get confused by this!

washngo Mon 11-Feb-13 19:44:38

That's what I am worried about FrauGrau - I wouldn't shorten either name but others might. I do love Romilly though...

pookamoo Mon 11-Feb-13 19:31:33

Love love it! I think it wouldn't be a problem.

FrauGrau Mon 11-Feb-13 19:29:54

You do not get to select your child's nickname - her friends will do that in spite of you.
I know 2 Romillys one male one female . Not convinced I like it for either but there you go. Camilla is nice, but not with romilly too many Molly's in that combo

deleted203 Mon 11-Feb-13 18:17:28

I love Romilly. We'd have called our DS2 and DS3 that (if they'd been girls, of course grin). I'd go for Romy as a nickname.

spaghettibolognese Mon 11-Feb-13 18:15:32

Maybe your girls will pick their own nicknames and wouldn't want to be called by their sister's nn. I'm sure it'd work out fine wink

washngo Mon 11-Feb-13 16:42:36

Quite like the idea of romy as a poss nn - would you pronounce it roamy or rommy?

MidnightMasquerader Mon 11-Feb-13 13:57:05

Romilly is, I thought, a well-known girl's name. Romy is gorgeous as well.

If you do go with both names, you can rest assured both girls won't end up with the same nn; it just wouldn't happen!

Besides, Camilla and Romilly are so, so, so much nicer than Milly!! wink

washngo Mon 11-Feb-13 13:50:49

Oh dear, still no idea what I think. Finding it so so hard to make a decision this time round!

forgottenpassword Sun 10-Feb-13 21:59:28

Love that name! Sophisticated and cool. Not too similar to Camilla at all.

lucylookout Sun 10-Feb-13 21:56:37

I thought it was a boy's name too, although that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice for a girl as well

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 10-Feb-13 21:51:54

Romilly is the name of a very nice park near us see here, and we also have a pub named Sir Samuel Romilly.

I would have guessed at it being a boys name.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 10-Feb-13 21:51:31

Hmmm...I'm not sure they go together either.

WillowinGloves Sun 10-Feb-13 21:49:48

I'm not sure I've ever commented on a name thread before, but Romilly is a gorgeous name! We know a Romy - wonder if she's a Romilly too? (Our Romy is pronounced roamy, btw.) I'm sure you can steer the nicknames when the time comes!

Doshusallie Sun 10-Feb-13 21:46:49

Hmm. Came on here to say love romilly, but prob wouldn't use it if I had a camilla. Hth.

BehindLockNumberNine Sun 10-Feb-13 21:45:26

I adore the name Romilly and would steer any nicknames towards Romy :-)

momb Sun 10-Feb-13 21:45:26

I work with a Romalie, pronounced the same way. Never seen in spelled Romilly though. It sounds lovely.

washngo Sun 10-Feb-13 21:42:29

So not too much 'mill' going on then?

whatagreatname Sun 10-Feb-13 21:17:01

I love the name Romilly and think it sounds lovely with Camilla. I wouldn't worry about nicknames myself but perhaps a nn Romy for Romilly would avoid two the same

KumquatMae Sun 10-Feb-13 21:14:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

almostanotherday Sun 10-Feb-13 21:13:26

I love the name Romanie

washngo Sun 10-Feb-13 21:10:55

We are struggling a bit with naming our 3rd baby. Dh really likes the name romilly, but we already have a camilla. My worry is that, although we never use the nn milly, both girls friends might do, so we could end up with two Millies! Is this over thinking or is that a reasonable concern to have?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: