Talk

Advanced search

What do we think of Lara?

(40 Posts)
Stepawayfromthesweeties Mon 21-Jan-13 21:20:46

Really struggling for a girls name, I've got a few that I kind of like but nothing I really like. Then fell upon a friends sisters name which is Lara, nice & short and not too flowery. What do you think?

BasicBetty Mon 20-Feb-17 14:30:26

Beautiful name

Stokey Mon 20-Feb-17 13:34:27

whoops - little Lara is 4 now!

MidnightVelvetthe7th Mon 20-Feb-17 12:01:26

Posted too soon! smile

I like it, I only know one adult Lara but its lovely, not as dated as Laura or Lauren.

MidnightVelvetthe7th Mon 20-Feb-17 11:56:06

Zombie thread smile

Stokey Mon 20-Feb-17 11:54:24

I have a Lara who is nearly 5. I thought I was naming her for Dr Zhivago but she's definitely turned out as more of a Lara Croft. It's easy for her to spell & easy for everyone else to pronounce.

We know 3 Claras but have not met another Lara, although there is a Laura in her class at school.

Lozible I know an Amara too - it's very pretty.

Dixiestamp Mon 20-Feb-17 02:52:14

Love it!

lozible Sun 19-Feb-17 13:06:30

My name is Lara. (I'm 14 and I just made a Mumsnet account to participate in the banter!

As it is quite a short name already, it can't be shortened to much!
I don't get called 'La' or 'Lala' at all, but I get called things like 'Loz' for short and 'Lozzy'.
The 'Lozzy' nickname evolved into my sister calling me 'Lozible' (Now my username for everything, haha) and then she pronounced it "Loz-ee-blay", so now my twin sister calls me Blé and texts me things like; "Hi Blé, can I get you anything from the shops?"
It's quite cute smile

Also, yes there are a lot of positive connotations of the name Lara. For Christmas, my mum gave me a music box with the tune 'Lara's Theme' from Dr Zhivago. smile

Positives for the name:
1. It is short and simple to spell smile
2. It is very pretty!
3. It is not very common.

Negatives for the name:
1. If you name your child Lara, I promise you (I know from experience) they will NEVER find their name on a Coca Cola bottle or a key chain or a mug.
2. Teachers at my school often mispronounced my name as Laura instead of Lara.
3. It is often mispronounced as "Lair-a" as opposed to "Lar-a".
4. There aren't many words that rhyme with it, other than like 'tiara' and 'capybara'.

Overall, a lovely name! I have an identical twin sister called Amy, so we are Amy and Lara or Lara and Amy. Our names mashed together make 'Amara' which we think would make quite a pretty name in itself! We call each other 'Amoo' and 'Lozzy' mostly.

smile

neolara Thu 24-Jan-13 14:12:40

My dd is Lara. I've only met two other children called Lara so it is still relatively uncommon.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Thu 24-Jan-13 14:08:54

I like Lara. My friend has just had one too.

EllenParsons Thu 24-Jan-13 00:47:38

Love love love. I think this is my all time favourite name. Would love to use it if I had a dd. great choice.

AndFanjoWasHisNameO Wed 23-Jan-13 22:35:35

Beautiful <3

massistar Wed 23-Jan-13 16:48:39

It's my DD's name and I still love it. Suits her to a tee! I didn't know many 4 years ago when she was born but it's getting a bit more popular. Think it made into the Top 100 names last year.

Pigsinblankets Wed 23-Jan-13 10:14:34

smile

Stepawayfromthesweeties Wed 23-Jan-13 06:22:43

Thanks for the input ladies, I think it will be Lara Elizabeth & dh is in agreement, hoorah!!! Although now that Clara's been mentioned too I like that one, maybe I just like names ending in ara smile

ripsishere Wed 23-Jan-13 05:24:22

I am smiling at people suggesting other names which end in 'ara.
Para
Mara
Kara
Nara
Dara

DessieLou Wed 23-Jan-13 05:12:28

Lara Elizabeth is gorgeous...i hope your husband agrees! How about Zara or elara? We nearly had a Zara Elizabeth! :-)

VBisme Tue 22-Jan-13 23:57:55

Very nice indeed

ZooAnimals Tue 22-Jan-13 23:55:36

It's nice, I like Clara and Zara too (but not Tara oddly!).

I only know one baby Lara and one 5 year-old Lara, it's not of those that's annoyingly overused (not here at least).

twinklesparkles Tue 22-Jan-13 21:22:59

I love love love lara (larissa) ..

Doesn't go with our surname though sad

Pigsinblankets Tue 22-Jan-13 21:13:46

I have a Lara Elizabeth! Beautiful names.

serin Tue 22-Jan-13 20:59:49

Great name, much underused.

spiderlight Tue 22-Jan-13 20:07:50

I really like it. Elegant and feminine but without being weedy or twee. It won't date too much either.

ScentedNappyHag Tue 22-Jan-13 20:02:42

I've only ever known one Lara, and she was lovely and elegant, so it has positive connotations for me smile I like it.

louise2011 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:01:12

Love it!!! Love Tara too

Yfronts Tue 22-Jan-13 13:28:36

Also Cara

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now