Talk

Advanced search

DD1-Eleanor. DD2-Emmeline?

(15 Posts)
HelpMeNameDD2 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:48:42

Or are they too similar?

I'm really struggling with a name for DD2. I knew very early on that Eleanor was 'it' the first time. I just can't find the right one for her sister. DH only appears to like names in the top 10 sad. He has said 'no' to Harriet, Felicity and Beatrice. I also love Phoebe, Alice and Olivia, but fear they are too popular.

So how about Emmeline. And what is the pronouciation?

Littlefish Wed 16-Jan-13 21:09:32

I think they are too similar.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 16-Jan-13 22:02:19

Too similar. Calling them both in a playground would be a tongue twister.

HelpMeNameDD2 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:18:44

Thank you both. I think I knew that deep down. I'm getting so frustrated.
Any suggestions?

amck5700 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:56:29

Lillian
Evelyn
Greta

smother Wed 16-Jan-13 23:00:28

I know two sisters called Amelia and Eleanor - always seems a bit of a tongue twister. I'd think again.... what about

Florence
Clara
Rose
Francesca
Martha
Iris
Matilda
Esme
Mary

Wingdingdong Wed 16-Jan-13 23:17:33

Haha, going to completely out myself here, but DD is Eleanor. DN (born a month earlier but due 2w apart) is Emmeline (Emma-leen). Yes, they're too similar, but we'd deliberately not discussed names with DB & SIL due to the timing and those were our respective choices.

Especially too similar as Eleanor will almost certainly become Ellie at school (NOT at home!) and Emmeline is already Emmy. Ellie and Emmy as cousins is just about ok, as sisters it's v twee. I always feel a bit self-conscious when I have the two girls together and I'm calling their names.

If you want another Eleanor kind of name, names that were on our shortlist for DC2 (but he turned out to be a DS) were Alexandra (did wonder if this would've been too similar too, but I think on balance it's ok!), Sophia, Caroline and Charlotte. Plus possibly Henrietta - like the name but my cousin used it for his DD... Lucy/Lucinda had been on our shortlist for DD too (not for DC2 as already taken by another DN by then). Isabelle's another nice name but I know too many to use it for my own DD. don't know if any of these give you ideas?

HelpMeNameDD2 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:56:31

Thank you, ladies!

Yes, I know you're right about Emmeline. It's just so much harder. Plus DH usually discounts anything I spend hours thinking about.

Evelyn was on our short list last time. But maybe still abit close.
Love Charlotte-but unfortunately would be awful with our surname (think spider).
I actually like most names you've all suggested. I think I need to be creative in how I put them to DH. Ha! Any suggestions with that?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 16-Jan-13 23:58:03

Lilian as suggested above.

Also,
Sylvie
Hazel
Rosalind

BrittaPerry Thu 17-Jan-13 00:02:30

Another suffragette? Our Emmeline is Emmeline Christabel.

A warning - nobody understands the name, she gets called Emily or Emmelina, but we all just call her Emmy anyway.

Bibblebobbleparsnip Thu 17-Jan-13 00:31:21

Ooh we have an Eleanor and discussed Evie for her too! She gets Ellie a lot at school and from her buddies. DS would have been Abigail or Amy, but DD2 is neither due to close friends choosing one and going off the other slightly. We considered Katherine, Mary, Joy, Georgia, Susannah, Sophie and Phoebe before choosing a combination of two of these for her first name/middle name.
Emmaline seems prettily Victorian to me, with a splash of the Wild West so how about...
Josephine
Verity
Other "virtue" names like Charity, Hope, Faith, Evangeline etc
Clementine (if you can get past the song - Clemmy?)
Constance/Connie
Victoria

Good luck with the rest of you pregnancy!

BrittaPerry Thu 17-Jan-13 00:36:31

Oh and (no offence) people can never spell Emmeline either...

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 17-Jan-13 06:51:23

What about Evangeline?

HelpMeNameDD2 Thu 17-Jan-13 17:30:48

Just suggested Evangeline to DH, and I am pleased to announce that he likes it! In fact, I think he really likes it grin!

Thank you all for your help. It's definitely our top name as of now. Feel a weight has lifted.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 17-Jan-13 18:48:14

Yaaaaay!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now