Talk

Advanced search

Bloody Surnames

(6 Posts)
milkandribena Mon 14-Jan-13 21:05:12

We need to start thinking of first names for DC (no idea what we are having) but it would be silly to start before we know what surname we are having.

We aren't married and haven't been together long at all.
(I have no issue with having a different name to DCs even if I was married would still keep my name - so that isn't an issue)
Both of us come from large families so that can't sway it either way.

We are both irish but living in england
I'm also half-german and DC will be bilingual

So the two options for surnames are:

Mine - A short (4 letters) easy to say super simple German surname (exists in other northern - European languages as well) but not super german in how it is said or spelt (written as said though one letter could be mistaken eg e or i). As with german sounds a bit harsh

His - A long, Irish Gaelic O^'XXXX name. Sounds really lovely but would need spelling a lot. It is really nice though

we are at a complete impasse

Help!

takeaway2 Mon 14-Jan-13 21:14:23

Why don't you use yours as second middle name? So something like
First name middle name your surname his surname?

John David your name O'xxx.

OkayHazel Tue 15-Jan-13 18:18:17

I agree with takeaway.

____ German Gaelic (without double barrelling)

LimeLeafLizard Tue 15-Jan-13 18:35:45

I think this is a good suggestion too.

I know a family who have used a similar combination - their children are

firstname middlename longishItaliansurname shortEnglishsurname

Works well and both surnames get used most of the time.

milkandribena Tue 15-Jan-13 20:30:08

Thanks.
I would worry though if it was two surnames that the last one would be the one used most (I know a few who this happens too) or that people would end up double-barrelling (Which we both really don't want)
I kind of think one surname is enough

takeaway2 Tue 15-Jan-13 20:33:28

You will have only one surname, his one. But you will have your name there too so it doesn't get 'lost'!

We have three names and one surname for our children. First name, middle name, ethnic name and surname. It works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now