Talk

Advanced search

Two siblings with names ending in 'el'

(18 Posts)
AlexanderS Thu 20-Dec-12 18:01:00

If you had a DS called something like Daniel and then you had a DD would you consider calling something like Isabel or Annabel? After all, the 'el' in Daniel is pronounced 'ull' rather than 'elle'. Or would you think as a pair of names that they were a bit samey?

AlexanderS Thu 20-Dec-12 18:01:33

Sorry, calling her.

ThePigOfHappiness Thu 20-Dec-12 18:15:44

Wouldn't bother me at all. Both my sister and I have names that end in a ee sound and it is perfectly normal smile

GinSoakedMulberryBush Thu 20-Dec-12 18:18:37

I think that's fine. Annabel and Samuel. Rachel and Daniel.

Nope, that would pass over me definitely. I wouldn't notice that. Even if I noticed I wouldn't think, oh they didn't think that through.

SomersetONeil Fri 21-Dec-12 00:40:33

Yes, what Gin said.

steppemum Fri 21-Dec-12 01:27:26

sounds fine
I think if it sounded really rhyming that would be a problem

AlexanderS Fri 21-Dec-12 09:42:36

Like Cayden and Jayden, sort of thing? What about, say, Morgan and Rowan?

MadSleighLady Fri 21-Dec-12 13:01:19

Am a bit sensitive to this stuff, but I agree it's all about the "ull" sound. So I probably wouldn't have Daniel and Rachel, but Daniel and Isabel/Annabel fine.

Morgan and Rowan would be a bit too similar for me - but then Vivienne and Rowan would be fine.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 21-Dec-12 15:02:43

I don't say Morgan and Rowan in the same way. Or Daniel and Isabel.

Although to they have the same endings they don't actually sound alike.

Mu1berryBush Fri 21-Dec-12 16:05:42

I wouldn't do Iris and Marcus for example but two 'el/iel/uel' endings doesn't seem so obvious.

AnnaKissed Fri 21-Dec-12 16:17:16

Can I ask a similar question then? What about names ending in -an? Both my dh and ds have names ending in -an, but some of my favorite names for the next dc end in -an too. And I don't want to be left out!

lljkk Fri 21-Dec-12 16:51:19

Why stop at 2? I have 3 grin.

They mostly go by NNs, anyway.

This thread is completely contradicting a previous MN thread about how awful rhyming names among siblings are.

lljkk Fri 21-Dec-12 16:53:08

Previous thread. Not kind at all.

madmayday Fri 21-Dec-12 18:34:13

I reckon it's fine. But I'm biased as I actually do have a Daniel and an Annabel....! wink

I've pondered Rachel, Samuel or Michael for a third DC, but that might be taking it a step too far! grin

copyandpaste Mon 24-Dec-12 03:57:47

I reckon it's totally fine

RillaBlythe Thu 27-Dec-12 07:13:38

I think it is fine, but then my two both have two syllable names ending in 'a'.

BonnieWeeJeannieMcCall Fri 28-Dec-12 00:14:56

I think it's fine, because the stress is on the non-rhyming syllables DANiel and ANNAbel or ISAbel. They don't sound too rhymey.

NoTeaForMe Sun 30-Dec-12 08:57:44

Cayden and Jayden are not fine though not even individually!

Daniel and Annabel sound fine together.

Similarly would you have two names ending in -ee/-ie sound?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now