Talk

Advanced search

Layla or Leila?

(22 Posts)
babyblabber Tue 18-Dec-12 13:05:13

Which is the more common spelling?

DH won't let me have Lola sad

LindtReindeerLover Tue 18-Dec-12 13:13:41

I know of someone who has a Layla, and Layla was also the Eric Clapton song. I associate Leila as being an eastern European/Russian spelling for some reason although I could be completely wrong! Not sure if that helps!?

KittyRocket Tue 18-Dec-12 13:19:11

yes, WSS ^^
It looks better as Layla. And its nicer than Lola!

LindtReindeerLover Tue 18-Dec-12 14:00:47

I like Lola but someone I know has called her cat Lola so it kind of put me off!

LondonElfInFestiveCheerBoots Tue 18-Dec-12 15:26:27

Leila is by far the nicer spelling imo, Layla reads and sounds a little cheap. Lola is cute but seems more like the name of a child not a woman iyswim.

MargeySimpson Tue 18-Dec-12 15:43:21

I read Leia as lee-la

I also read Leila as Lee-la. The name of the one eyed girl in futurama.

MadSleighLady Wed 19-Dec-12 09:54:22

I like both but would naturally spell it Leila. That happens to be the name of a shop near here and I've always that pronounced "lay-la" - hopefully correctly!

veiledsentiments Wed 19-Dec-12 10:03:14

We spell my daughters Laila, but pronounce layla.

doodlecrayon Wed 19-Dec-12 10:27:51

When it's translated from Persian, it's often Leyla. I believe this is a more usual spelling in Turkey too. I'd avoid the Eric Clapton spelling, if I were you, so go for Laila/Leyla. Agree with pp that Leila sometimes confused with Lee-la or Li-la.

Gwennan Wed 19-Dec-12 11:11:01

I like Layla but either is fine & both are so much nicer than Lola!

I know of a Laura who goes by Lola if that's something your DH might go for.

icovetthee Wed 19-Dec-12 11:14:16

I have a Layla after the Eric Clapton song. Leila is the more common spelling as its a predominantly Eastern European name.

salvadory Wed 19-Dec-12 11:19:27

Leila, much nicer in my opinion. I don't like it spelled Layla and would never have confused leila as lee-la.

FireOverBethlehem Wed 19-Dec-12 11:25:00

My gut reaction is that Layla is British / American and Leila is arabic.

I would presume that a Leila, before meeting her, was of middle Eastern heritage.

MysteryCat Wed 19-Dec-12 13:28:22

This is on my short list too and I had the same dilemma about the spelling. I think that Leila looks nicer but I once knew a Leila and people were always calling her Lee-la - when it should have been Lay-la. As to which is most common - I'm not sure, probably fairly equal, I would guess.

StellaNova Thu 20-Dec-12 10:25:00

I know a Leila who is pronouced Layla. I think both spellings are fine but slightly prefer the former (Leila).

I like the name very much, and always hear it in my head to the tune of the song. "Layyyyyyyy-la!"

elsabel Mon 31-Dec-12 22:28:54

I love this name and am considering it for my baby (if we have a girl as we dont know!) and am drawn the the spelling Leila, dont know why just think it looks nicer!

LynetteScavo Mon 31-Dec-12 22:41:01

I think Leila looks nicer.

I did know an American Leila who pronounced it Lie -la...but she has problems explaining it to people who thought it should be said Layla.

There are so many Lola's now, even though it's a lovely name, I think Leila is better.

StetsonsAreCool Mon 31-Dec-12 22:49:56

I knew a Layla, and she wasn't a classy girl, so unfortunately that spelling is ruined for me. Love the name though.

When I see Leila it reads as Lay-la, when I see Laila I read Lie-la.

I know a (grown up) Leila now, and she is as pretty and lovely as her name.

Clarano5 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:30:58

Leila definitely.

zenoushka Fri 04-Jan-13 16:16:15

Definitely Leila!

Swanlike Fri 04-Jan-13 16:22:08

Leila is a recurring name in my family - great aunts, aunts etc and has always been pronounced correctly as Lee-la. It's a persian name which means dark haired/night. I think Layla/Laila is a completely seperate name of Eastern European origin and the two shouldn't be confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now