Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Flora or Bridgit

(13 Posts)
InTheBoonies Fri 30-Nov-12 12:18:48

Would like some feedback on these two please smile

Do I need to worry about the margarine connection to Flora? Or is Bridgit a bit harsh sounding?

I think Flora travels better than Bridgit but maybe Bridgit is a bit more on trend with the baby boomer names coming back and Flora a bit more with the old lady trend? Any feedback or similar suggestions appreciated.

FireOverBabylon Fri 30-Nov-12 12:26:47

I would go for Bridget, rather than the double i spelling that you've suggested. Not sure why, it just looks a bit less harsh.

As to Flora, I just feel it's a bit old fashioned; it'd be nice for a little girl but I think there are class connotations with its use, for me it's more of a "posh" name than Bridget, which I just think of as being Irish. Oh, and I went to school with a girl called Flora Margaret - you only have to worry about the margarine connotations if you choose a bloody stupid middle name that can be shortened to Marge, presuming that this new fangled spread will be a passing phase. I think she liked Flora but hated Margaret, which was a family name.

Pancakeflipper Fri 30-Nov-12 12:29:06

Bridget.

I know 2 Bridgets and both are funny, bright and great company to be around. I know a Flora and she is wishy washy just like her name

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Fri 30-Nov-12 12:41:57

Not keen on Bridgit I'm afraid. Makes me thinks of nuns, it sounds hard and austere. (And being "on trend" doesn't make me like it more)

Flora seems like the polar opposite though, a bit too flowery (obvs) and frilly.

Seems odd to choose between the two when they're both so different.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Fri 30-Nov-12 12:53:02

Flora.

I really don't like Bridget.

shoobidoo Fri 30-Nov-12 13:58:43

Flora or Brigitte. Don't like the spelling Bridget.

InTheBoonies Fri 30-Nov-12 18:13:13

I don't know where i've come up with the Bridgit spelling, probably better to avoid the 'git' bit of the name and have Bridget. It does soften the name.

OwedToAutumn Fri 30-Nov-12 18:16:08

I like Flora! Or if you're worried about the margarine connection, what about Fleur?

Allalonenow Fri 30-Nov-12 18:16:32

Flora

YouCanBe Fri 30-Nov-12 18:17:02

Bridget.
I don't like the nn Flo.

Allalonenow Fri 30-Nov-12 18:19:55

Or if you wanted to distance the name from margarine (though I don't think it is a problem)

Fleur

nemno Fri 30-Nov-12 18:21:50

I looked at the title and wondered for a moment how I'd missed that there was a new spread called Bridgit smile

Sorry

So yes, Bridget out of the two.

Gugglebum Fri 30-Nov-12 21:39:20

I much prefer Flora. I know a cute little one whose nn is Florrie. Bridget to me feels and sounds less feminine. I don't know anyone who still eats margarine... hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: