Talk

Advanced search

Penelope

(17 Posts)
WonkyWilly Thu 29-Nov-12 17:21:20

I'm not pregnant but I'm beginning my fertility treatment soon. I'm going to be very positive and HOPE that it will be successful soon! Sooooo if I do get my bfp I would like Penelope for a dd.......what do you think? Do you know any, if so is the name well received? Do you think it is going to get super popular and make its decent to chav land as a result of it being used by Kourtney Kardashian for her dd last year?

amazingmumof6 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:37:47

I think it is a lovely name! just the right amount of not common but not weird either!

just in case you didn't know I copied this for you:

"Of Greek origin, and the meaning of Penelope is "weaver". From "pene". Mythology: Penelope, wife of Odysseus, fended off suitors by weaving during the day and unraveling at night a tapestry she said had to be completed before she would wed another husband. The name has come to signify a loyal, capable, and clever woman.
Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Penelope#44DX0lCtVXgSsoZD.99

just coz you typed in capitals - I think Hope is also a lovely name!

WonkyWilly Thu 29-Nov-12 17:40:24

Amazingmumof6 your right Hope is also a lovely name....it could well be a mn option!

SrirachaGirl Thu 29-Nov-12 17:41:42

I think it's lovely. Classic but unusual. Good Luck smile

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 29-Nov-12 17:48:05

It's lovely smile

amazingmumof6 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:58:16

that's what I thought! smile Penelope Hope - - let's hope!

RarelyUnreasonable Thu 29-Nov-12 18:44:21

Penelope Hope or Penelope Grace was on our shortlist, but we had DS grin.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 19:05:19

I am one. I found out recently that to penelopise is to do something simply for the sake of doing it smile

I have never been called by the full version, though, I'm always shortened. Doesn't bother me but i know some people find it annoying!

WonkyWilly Thu 29-Nov-12 20:13:13

Purple...I wouldn't actually mind any of the shortening a as they are all nice...I guess that is what is so appealing about the name! Do you like being a Penelope? smile

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 20:25:03

Long version isn't "me", I'm definitely the small copper coin

Sorry to be a bit obscure, i don't want my real name searchable on my posts iyswim smile

WonkyWilly Thu 29-Nov-12 20:27:47

grin @ small copper coin....I had to read that a couple of times before I got it...duh!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 21:54:13

blush

YouCanBe Fri 30-Nov-12 18:30:51

I like it. smile

phlebas Sat 01-Dec-12 00:07:23

I have a 3.5 year old Penelope smile

She's shortened most of the time (not the small coin but Nell/Nelly) but has just started calling herself the full version - I imagine she'll grow into it. It was my older dd who suggested first it - dd2 was originally going to be Helena - we all love it smile

WonkyWilly Mon 03-Dec-12 21:26:21

Aah Nelly is a cute nn!

JessieEssex Tue 04-Dec-12 12:51:53

I love love love it. It's frontrunner should this one be a girl (23 weeks pg...)

bigbluebump Tue 04-Dec-12 15:13:52

I too like it very much. Wonder if it's going to shoot up the charts and become mega popular (and eventually fall out of favour and sound dated?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now