Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sibling for Mariya

(13 Posts)
Jenni145 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:18:04

Hi,

I am due in just over 2 weeks, don't know if it's girl or boy and really stuck on names!!!! OH is no help at all lol...

Anyway, I'm Scottish, OH is Indian

We're both Muslim - my family are not though..

So I would like a name with a good meaning or a story to it i.e. a name of a Prophet in Islam, or an inspirational figure..

OH & his fam would like a 'unique/funky' name... LOL

My family would like a 'pronounceable' name...

So far, I have a few I like:

Boy: Ibrahim - I admire that Prophet Ibrahim was taken as an intimate friend by Allah, that in the Quran he is described as being compassionate, etc.

OH not commented on this name, my bro has suggested it's hard to pronounce??

or I like AbdurRahman - Abd Ar Rahman - (ar Rahman is an attribute of Allah meaning the most Merciful - also there is ahadith stating the most beloved names by Allah are Abdullah and AbdurRahman)

Girl: Ruqaya - means gentle, also Ruqaya was a daughter of the prophet Mohammed.
My OH has said its an old fashioned name, my brother has said it's hard to pronounce.

Khadijah - first wife of prophet Mohammed - was his only wife during her lifetime, so marriage of 25 years & she was the first person to accept Islam, & she was a successful businesswoman - so I like the name because she came into the religion like me, she had a happy marriage, & she was a successful businesswoman so all things to inspire my daughter.
However, yet again OH has not commented, and I think my family might say oh we can't pronounce it...?

Other one for a girl I kinda like is Naima (Na-eema) which means contented? it's a word in the Quran in where Allah describes that some people on judgement day will be 'Naima' and 'Radhiya' both are used as names however the 'dh' sound my fam would have difficulty pronouncing so I haven't considered that one... anyway they could both mean contented, tranquil, radiant etc... Which again, if I think about what I want for my daughter I would want her to be happy, tranquil etc..

So, to summarize

Boy: Ibrahim
AbdurRahman
Abdullah

Girl: Ruqaya
Khadijah
Naima

please comment on the names I suggested how YOU might pronounce it if you read it on paper (ie teacher calling out their name in class) & spelling...

Also any suggestions are appreciated

:-D thanks!

Snowflakepie Thu 29-Nov-12 13:51:29

I don't think your choices are hard to pronounce once told the name properly, although I don't know how a Scottish accent might affect it tbh. All the boys choices I would say as they are spelt, none are unusual. The girls I would say ruh-kya, Kad-eee-ja and nay-ma, but would be happy to be corrected. They are all lovely names with nice meanings. There's nothing wrong with having three choices for each and then waiting until baby is here, men really don't seem to care until the last minute IME. Good luck x

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 29-Nov-12 15:25:03

I think Ibrahim and Naima are the nicest.

I wouldn't have a problem pronouncing any of them,granted a friend named her daughter Ruqaya, except Khadijah. If I am saying it right,I don't think sounds very attractive.

doodlecrayon Fri 30-Nov-12 13:05:46

I like Ibrahim, agree that people would have problems with Khadijah though (speaking from experience, it's not nice when people only 'nearly' get your name right!). For a boy, I've always loved Karim and Omar (assuming you're Sunni...?), and for a girl perhaps Ayesha or Maryam...

YouCanBe Fri 30-Nov-12 18:32:30

Naima is beautiful.

doodlecrayon Fri 30-Nov-12 21:41:46

Sorry, just realised Maryam won't work with your daughter's name! Not very helpful of me!

Jenni145 Mon 24-Dec-12 22:40:05

I had a boy and called him Ibrahim :-D

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 25-Dec-12 00:25:33

Congratulations OP! smile

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Tue 25-Dec-12 01:03:14

Khadijah is beautiful, and has a lovely story. Khadi (Cady) would be a cute nickname too...

Laila or Mona could work.

Nesrin (Nasreen) is also lovely. Had a brilliant teacher called Nesrin. Is strong yet pretty.

Narked Wed 26-Dec-12 17:09:32

So you want a religious name, your DH wants a modern name and your family want a British name? Good luck pleasing everyone.

Narked Wed 26-Dec-12 17:10:38

Ah, just read your update. Congratulations!

SnowProbs Wed 26-Dec-12 17:17:47

Ibrahim is lovely - congrats! I know a little Ibi...so cute!

charlottery Wed 26-Dec-12 19:44:04

Congratulations, Ibrahim is a lovely name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now