Talk

Advanced search

Do siblings names have to 'match'?

(28 Posts)
casma Sun 11-Nov-12 18:16:44

DD has quite an unusual, untraditional name as I was young and immature when I named her. DS's name is also quite unusual, although less so than DD's. However, this time DP is fixated on the name Harry for a boy. Now, I like it, but somehow think it would sound really odd with the names of my DC. Do you think it's an issue if names don't go with their other siblings? If so, what names do you consider unusual but still relatively traditional?

CombustionEngine Sun 11-Nov-12 18:27:46

Ds1 has a very unusual made up name. We tried matching for number 2 but we didn't love other unusual names so ds2 has a traditional and very common name which we love.

Really it's only during childhood their names will be frequently said together.

I actually never thought about matching names until coming on here!

RubyFakeNails Sun 11-Nov-12 18:29:51

I don't think so. DD1 and DS have 'made up' names whereas DD2s name is a bit like Harry in that its a sort of traditional British name.

janey68 Sun 11-Nov-12 19:56:02

I wouldn't use the term 'matching' because that implies that there are set names which have to be used together. But yes, I would think it was a bit odd if parents named their children in wildly different ways. Not that there's anything wrong with doing it if you want to, but it will certainly strike people as unusual. Just to give an example, I have a colleague who had her first child when very young and named her Carly; whereas her (much younger) daughter and son have traditional (and lovely) names. Being totally honest it sounds a little odd when she refers to all 3 together

LaGuerta Sun 11-Nov-12 20:03:45

I really don't like "matching" names, but equally I think one should avoid names that sound discordant. You don't want your children to say to you, "Why did you call my brothers Edward and George but call me Rocco?"

Can you share one or both of your DC's names and see what else might suit?

casma Sun 11-Nov-12 21:50:34

Thanks for the responses, they're really useful. LaGuerta, DS is Dexter which is the type of name I'm after I suppose.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 11-Nov-12 21:53:56

Hmmm...im not sure. DD has a first and middle name which are both from childrens literature and in theory I would like to do the same with any future dc. However, the names that come to mind when I imagine any futire dc are not along these lines.

I suppose I wouldn't force myself to use a name I didn't love just because it 'matched'.

I do curse myself that I used my two favourite girls names on DD. And the name I would use for my next girl has the same initial as DD so that means I can't use it in my opinion

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 11-Nov-12 21:54:38

Oh, and I think Harry goes.quite well woth Dexter. Whats DDs name?

SamSmalaidh Sun 11-Nov-12 21:59:09

I think Harry and Dexter sound fine together too.

It is a bit weird when people go for very different styles of names - eg. Hugo, Clementine and Kayden. Or Noah, Jacob and Summer.

ceebeegeebies Sun 11-Nov-12 22:00:32

Goldplated I was in exactly the same position as you shock I used my 2 favourite boys names for DS1 and then found out I was having another boy...and my 3rd favourite boys name began with the same initial as DS1's name so didn't want to use that either! I used it as DS2's middle name but had to find a first name that I liked. As it turned out, I actually prefer DS2's name to DS1's now.

OP - my 2 do match in that they sound very similar (in terms of syllables/number of letters and sounds). However this was purely by chance rather than by design and only realised when my mum pointed it out blush

casma Sun 11-Nov-12 22:04:11

GoldPlated, DD is Aurora.

casma Sun 11-Nov-12 22:04:57

So sib set would be Aurora, Dexter and Harry

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 11-Nov-12 22:07:00

I love Aurora!

And Harry is perfectly fine with that, and not out of place. Do you know you are definetly having a boy, have you any girls.names picked out?

Minoan Sun 11-Nov-12 22:07:11

sounds perfectly nice together to me

steppemum Sun 11-Nov-12 22:08:43

I used to know a family who had become Christians at some point. dcs 1 and 2 were called things like Hebrides and Skye and dcs 3 and 4 were solid Biblical names like Jonathan and Rachel

Made me giggle when I heard them!

I did want my kids names to sound as if they had same parents, but actually they are their own people and most of their lives they won't be referred to as a unit.

Choose names you like and will be happy to live with

Actually really hate - all kids with same initial; all kids rhyming somehow; all kids with very matchy names like a pair of kittens grin

LaGuerta Sun 11-Nov-12 22:10:33

I think Harry and Dexter sound perfectly fine together, although I can see why you started the thread. If it's a name you both love (or can agree on at least wink) then use it.

Dexter is what I would think of as a bit surnamey, so to me similar names are things like:

Harrison
Lucas
Mason
Fraser

Hope that helps. smile

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 11-Nov-12 22:11:11

Aurora , Dexter and Harry sound good to me .
I didn't even think about whether my DCs names would match , just chose names we liked ( plain , normal traditional names )
George and Jennifer

casma Sun 11-Nov-12 22:11:16

We're not sure what we're having and not even thought of girls names yet! Thanks for all of your reassuring comments.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 11-Nov-12 22:11:46

Tee hee I just remembered someone on here saying they knew of triplets called Faith Hope and Kevin.

Now thats odd.

Sleepyfergus Sun 11-Nov-12 22:12:24

I think those 3 names sound absolutely fine together. Go for it! And congrats btw!smile

LaGuerta Sun 11-Nov-12 22:16:07

Ooh sorry xpost, hadn't seen that DD is Aurora too.

I think that Harry is still ok with your other children. Girls' names tend to be more flamboyant than boys, so whilst I think Aurora and Harry are quite different styles of name, it's fine. What is important is that you are both happy with what you decide.

MrsDeVere Sun 11-Nov-12 22:20:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

casma Sun 11-Nov-12 22:24:29

Great, this has given me a lot more confidence in using it - thanks!

forgetmenots Sun 11-Nov-12 23:05:11

I don't hear yours as clashing names at all! I know sibling sets where one is a really on-trend name (think Kai, Kaden) and one is traditional (Elizabeth, Charles) and that I find weird. I see that Harry is more traditional, but because I think of that as a bit of a NN, it feels less so and I think it goes well with your other two.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 11-Nov-12 23:07:27

Mine don't match as such but they both begin with T. One is a Greek word and the other is made up half from Maury. Everyone says hows T and T ect and if I had a third she would be called Tallia to fit in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now