Talk

Advanced search

views from French people please!

(8 Posts)
beezbuzz Sat 10-Nov-12 22:47:39

how is the name Estelle perceived? is it common/ popular or not? An old-lady name or a girly name, what connotations does it have for you? thanks!

javotte Sun 11-Nov-12 13:24:21

Estelle peaked a couple of decades ago (I went to school with several Estelles - I'm 31) :
www.aufeminin.com/w/prenom/p5696/estelle.html
But it is a perfectly decent name, not too common, with a single spelling.

worldcitizen Sun 11-Nov-12 22:10:46

They say when Swedish Crown Princess Victoria named her now 1-year old daughter, Estelle, the entire family and everyone else whose opinion would be considered important, was supposedly not pleased.

The name was considered too common hmm bordering on being put on the same level with a not-so-honourable-woman confused and what not...

Personally, I like this name a lot. I find the name very classy and cute at the same time.

beezbuzz Mon 12-Nov-12 20:06:41

Eek! I thought the Swedish Royals were only pissed off because it wasn't Swedish!

YouOldSlag Mon 12-Nov-12 20:09:59

It's a lovely name but I always think of Friends: "Joey? it's Estelle, they LOVED ya"

Pasiphae Tue 13-Nov-12 11:13:22

Estelle is sort of 70/80s name, I am in my late 30s and I went to school with a few Estelle too.
I think French people see this as a classic name, but a fairly passé one, a sort French Rachel in preceptions maybe?

blondiedollface Tue 13-Nov-12 11:27:05

What Pasiphae said - I am 23 and when I was at Uni in France in 2008 a fellow classmate my age shortened Estelle to just Elle as she thought it was a bit old then!!

beezbuzz Tue 13-Nov-12 18:57:07

Thanks everyone! DD is named already, but since we now live in France I wanted to find out a bit more about what kind of name it is here. She is hardly ever called by her full name anyway - more often Stella. I still like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now