Talk

Advanced search

"American" names in London - will they go over well?

(83 Posts)
lily3 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:16:47

As expats in London, I'm wondering how our children's names will go over. I also just found out I'm pregnant with DC 3 and I'd love to hear what names are considered "trendy" (to avoid them) or what names would not go over well, that might be popular in America.

Our baby twins are named Rowan (girl) and Weston (boy).

The other names we like are Beatrice, Winifred & Hadley (for a girl) or Finn, Harrison & Asher (for a boy).

Tickledyellow Sat 10-Nov-12 21:25:15

I'm not too sure how to respond to this... Honestly is best! I love your baby girl's name, although I think it is more popular (although by no means very popular, it is still unsual) for baby boys at the moment. I think it is a great name for both sexes though. Your twin boy name would definitely be considered quite 'American' over here I think.... Certainly not popular. Actually names ending in son and ton, ie. Ashton, Samson etc leave people divided. Some love them, others loathe...

As for your name choices I love all of them! my least favourite is Asher probably (quite American for me!).

Congratulations by the way and good luck with names

amazingmumof6 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:27:03

I'm not trendy and have chosen Biblical names for all our kids, but I'd say your boy names are all lovely!

I like Beatrice, but the other are a bit old fashioned I think, though I like Winifred also.

you can google most popular names in UK

amazingmumof6 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:30:17

Tickled would you have guessed I like Asher the most! smile (read my previous post)

lily3 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:34:49

Thank you! Yes I am looking for honesty! I'm just curious to hear what the name trends are across the pond. Are Brits big on nicknames? We like to shorten everything. Weston goes by Wes (hardly call him Weston) and honestly if we went with Winifred or Beatrice we'd really be going with Bea or Winnie..and so on.

What names are uber trendy now in the UK? We definitely want to avoid those...

AGeeksWife Sat 10-Nov-12 21:40:11

Hadley was on my girls list, love it

maillotjaune Sat 10-Nov-12 21:41:58

Well as you're in London I don't think I'd worry too much about it. I might raise an eyebrow when Brits with no connection to the States use 'American' names but as you are American...

The thing is that wherever you live in London, you'll be surrounded by people from all over the world so your choice of names will not stand out as much as they would in a small, homogeneous community (assuming such places still exist, don't get out of London much grin)

PurplyWurply Sat 10-Nov-12 21:43:19

Hadley for a girl would be unusual here - I would assume it to be a boy's name - surnames as first names tend to be used for boys here. Also, even for boys, using a surname for first name divides people. Personally, I would rather have a 'real' first name rather than 2 surnames iyswim.

Beatrice is nice, with nicknames Bea and Trixie

Winifred will be unusual, but probably called "Winnie The Witch" after the storybook.

Finn is a very popular name here, I know several boys called Finn/Finley/Finlay.

Harrison wouldn't be my choice, but is well known here.

Asher does sound very 'American', and will probably sound better in your accent than in most of the local London accents.

crazygracieuk Sat 10-Nov-12 21:47:01

Harry/Harrison is very popular in the Uk. I have one and in his class of 20, (10 boys) there is another and I was at a wedding last summer when a mum called Harrison and Lind 5 boys turned round.

maillotjaune Sat 10-Nov-12 21:50:59

Well the only Hadley I've heard of is Hadley Freeman who writes for the Guardian so I would assume Hadley was a girl.

lily3 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:58:16

PurplyWurply Winnie the Witch?? I am going to have to Google that, never heard of it! We obviously don't have that in America, or if we do it is not popular at all. I was thinking more "Winnie the Pooh", but it's not popular like it was when I was a child, and Pooh was a boy bear, not a girl - and also adorable so how bad could that be!?

maillotjaune Interesting, because we thought Hadley was a boy's name, which is why we like it for a girl. DH and I like boys names for girls (ie: Rowan!) - is that uncommon in the UK?

lily3 Sat 10-Nov-12 22:00:22

Alright, how popular is "Winnie the Witch"? We really can't call our future daughter Winnie if she's going to get made fun of and called Winnie the Witch all the time...this might be the perfect example of an "American" type name that goes horribly wrong in the UK!

Tickledyellow Sat 10-Nov-12 22:08:44

Come to think of it Winnie the witch is very popular. My daughter's favourite books in fact! She is a nice, quirky witch though!

perceptionreality Sat 10-Nov-12 22:12:59

I think you should choose the names you like and are true to your culture and not worry about what others think smile

fwiw I love both Beatrice and Winifred - they were on my girls name lists.

lily3 Sat 10-Nov-12 22:16:01

Ahh ok, not a mean/evil witch. I honestly have never heard of that series so I am clueless.

PurplyWurply Sat 10-Nov-12 22:17:33

I think most schoolchildren will have heard of "Winnie the Witch".

I came across it recently when my DC loved it at story time at pre-school before Halloween, but we haven't bought the book yet.

Have a look at Amazon, there seems to be series of books plus some DVDs and CDs.

blindworm Sat 10-Nov-12 22:21:19

I think you would actually be alright with Winnie. By the time kids get old enough to tease about names, they probably will have forgotten about Winnie the Witch. And Winnie the Pooh went by just Pooh most of the time, didn't he?

lily3 Sat 10-Nov-12 22:24:15

Yes, he mostly goes by Pooh. And I think it must be the same scenario because Pooh is really only a hit with toddlers and thankfully they can't tease that young.

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Nov-12 22:24:33

Winnie The Witch is very popular and rising I'd say (I have a 4 yo and 1 yo). There is a whole series of about 10 books and more still being published. Here she is.

StrawWars Sat 10-Nov-12 22:33:45

Hadley makes me think of Tony Hadley ("Gold" got played a lot during the Olympics). Or Radley handbags.

Asher makes me think of Jane Asher (Cakes...) Or Asha, as in the girl's name.

(shows age)

manicinsomniac Sat 10-Nov-12 22:44:07

I really like Hadley and Harrison (but then I am a fan of American type names). Also like Asher.

I'm not keen on Beatrice or Winifred but I would think of them as traditionally British names? Beatrice is certainly popular here and I don't think it breaks top 300 in the US does it?

Startail Sat 10-Nov-12 22:46:39

I know English Beatrice, Finn and Harrisons, so no problem there.
Asher I think would grow on me. Weston becomes Western to me, but Wes is fine.

Hope you like London, I'm a country mouse.

amazingmumof6 Sat 10-Nov-12 22:55:02

purply Asher is Hebrew, it means fotunate/blessed/happy (one of Jacob's 12 sons in Old testament)

lily3 I googled it for you (was curious!) - top 30 boy & girl baby names in 2011 in UK

boys:
1.Oliver
2.Jack
3.Harry
4.Charlie
5.James
6.Joshua
7.Alfie
8.Thomas
9.Jacob
10.Ethan
11.Noah
12.Daniel
13.George
14.William
15.Samuel
16.Alexander
17.Oscar
18.Lucas
19.Dylan
20.Max
21.Benjamin
22.Henry
23.Leo
24.Ryan
25.Matthew
26.Finley
27.Isaac
28.Aiden
29.Jayden
30.Jake

1.Lily
2.Emily
3.Isabella
4.Sophia
5.Isabelle
6.Sophie
7.Olivia
8.Ava
9.Chloe
10.Isla
11.Amelia
12.Jessica
13.Grace
14.Evie
15.Charlotte
16.Ella
17.Mia
18.Lucy
19.Freya
20.Ruby
21.Holly
22.Ellie
23.Hannah
24.Emma
25.Abigail
26.Megan
27.Jasmine
28.Daisy
29.Matilda
30.Erin

Read more: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/naming/baby-names-2011/babycentre-top-girls-names-2011/#ixzz2Bra1oTp8

PurplyWurply Sat 10-Nov-12 22:59:05

Thanks amazingmumof6 I didn't make that connection, but have heard the name in America.

amazingmumof6 Sat 10-Nov-12 23:00:32

you welcome! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now