Talk

Advanced search

Would this bother you/put you off?

(12 Posts)
SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sat 10-Nov-12 11:54:27

I have one DS at pre-school. I am expecting DS2. DH and I have a favourite name picked out for DS2, but there are two boys at DS's pre-school (out of approx. 15 boys) with the same name; one is in his circle of friends, one not. I am quite friendly with both of their mums. Does it matter that we have chosen the same name? Am I (yet again!) overthinking this?

It's not a hugely popular name statistically btw, about 60-70 on the top 100 list.

Thank you.

babyblabber Sat 10-Nov-12 12:25:24

Defo not. DS1 will only be in pre school & therefor know these boys for a couple of years max, DS2 will have his name forever.

zxcv123 Sat 10-Nov-12 12:41:46

Don't worry about it. Chances are you will move / they will move / they will go to a different school / you won't stay in their circle of friends etc.

When I was pregnant with DS2, two women I knew a bit were pregnant at the same time. Turns out we were all planning on using the same name (although we didn't discuss it.) I gave birth first and used the name. They felt bad using the same name and went for their second choices instead. Six months later I moved house and never saw them again.... They should have stuck with their first choice!

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sat 10-Nov-12 12:59:38

Thanks! My DH says I am being silly, this has made me realise he's right!

ReallyLongWorm Sat 10-Nov-12 13:08:11

The other mums may be flattered.. My son has an increasingly popular name although when he was born 2 years ago I only knew one aged 18. He goes to a play group with my mum and a lady there said she was thinking of using DS's name for her new son and would I mind?! Of course I don't mind and it's flattering as she has been around DS for a while now and he obviously hasn't put her off the name!

dreamingofsun Sat 10-Nov-12 13:39:11

'quite friendly' suggests you aren't especially close and therefore same name isn't too much of an issue - 'best mates, relatives, godparents' is different as suggests you will see a lot of each other and it will cause confusion; and potential upset with other family.

I probably wouldn't do it as i'd like my child to have a less popular name. But thats just us

LuellaLovesLavendar Sat 10-Nov-12 13:42:51

I would be really annoyed if it was me tobe honest. However I would probably not choose a name from wiring the top 100 to try avoid this happening!

LuellaLovesLavendar Sat 10-Nov-12 13:43:07

To be

Theas18 Sat 10-Nov-12 13:43:08

It would bother me I must say. I disagree with previous poster, unless you are in a very mobile area this cohort odd kids will grow up together and will for ever be tom a, tom b and tom c.
Always having your initial is a pain. Unless you are going till use an un popular nick name don't do it

LuellaLovesLavendar Sat 10-Nov-12 13:43:42

From the top 100 ......stupid iPad spelling!

MolotovBomb Sat 10-Nov-12 13:53:28

It wouldn't put me off.

I was put off the name Jessica for DD1 thinking that shed always be one of 3 girls with the name in her class, but we've only come across one other in almost 4 years.

As for name similarities between friends: it might be mire awkward if it was only one friend with a child who has the name, but not 2.

Good luck!

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sat 10-Nov-12 15:16:16

Theas18 - but the other two with the name are in DS1's year so would be well above DS2 at school etc. I don't know of any others at all; as I say, the name is relatively unusual overall.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now