Talk

Advanced search

Leila

(13 Posts)
Fifi2406 Tue 06-Nov-12 13:24:13

For a girl! Thought please

Rhubarbgarden Tue 06-Nov-12 14:12:40

I really dislike it. I'm not sure why though - there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it. I think perhaps it's association - I've known a fair few annoying Leilas.

YuffieKisaragi Tue 06-Nov-12 15:52:42

Makes me think of the classic Clapton tune, though of course that was spelled Layla. I like it. Becoming quite popular.

Coops79 Tue 06-Nov-12 15:58:12

One of the nicest people I've ever known is called Leila. I've always liked it because of that!

MrsJamesMartin Tue 06-Nov-12 15:59:04

I have a Layla so I love it. It means intoxicating and dark beauty, which she is! She is now 10 and there were hardly any Layla/Leilas around then but really quite popular now.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Nov-12 16:02:54

It reminds me of Futurama. But I am in my early twenties so perhaps that's why?

janey1234 Tue 06-Nov-12 16:33:46

I've known two Leila's in my life. Both had silky, long, thick black hair and both were beautiful (met them in different continents two decades apart - pretty sure it wasn't the same one wink) so to me it conjures up an intoxicating dark beauty as mrsjames says! Really like it.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 07-Nov-12 08:57:25

Absolutely beautiful name from Persia - I too knew a beautiful Iranian Leila and she was a lovely, wonderful person.

plentyofsoap Wed 07-Nov-12 15:40:43

She may have to spend her life spelling it out constantly and everyone calling her variations of it "laura" was my favourite?!! Always get compliments on it though.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 07-Nov-12 22:52:14

Beautiful, I think its a timeless classic.

SomersetONeil Thu 08-Nov-12 08:43:45

Lovely. And that spelling is, IMO, the nicest smile

MolotovBomb Fri 09-Nov-12 10:37:40

I think it's gorgeous.

However, the meaning of the name was given upthread and I only think it should be given to dark-haired girls. I considered it for DD1 but am glad we didn't go for it as she has blonde hair and blue eyes!

Ephiny Fri 09-Nov-12 17:53:33

I think it's beautiful.

I thought it was pronounced 'Layla' not 'Leela' so wouldn't necessarily think of Futurama, but even if I did, it's not such a bad association smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now