Talk

Advanced search

Will Ophelia be perceived as pretentious?

(68 Posts)
RTchoke Sun 04-Nov-12 08:48:25

I love the name Ophelia but am worried that people will think it's pretentious. DDs 1&2 have much more common names, both only 4 letters, but I want to go more unusual for DC3.

I also love Dora (Dorothea) and Juno.

MrsWolowitz Sun 04-Nov-12 08:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colditz Sun 04-Nov-12 08:57:28

It is but it's so pretty.

colditz Sun 04-Nov-12 08:57:48

And possibly less pretentious than Titania.

MrsWolowitz Sun 04-Nov-12 08:57:53

PinkFondantFancy Sun 04-Nov-12 08:58:17

I think it's lovely. If you like it, why do you care whether anyone else likes it?

RTchoke Sun 04-Nov-12 08:58:53

I'm not at all worried about "Dora the Explorer". DDs best friend is Lola and despite the popularity of Charlie and Lola I've never heard any comments. Dora is a classic name unlike Lola and in our area Charlie and Lola us better known than Dora the Explorer.

Pochemuchka Sun 04-Nov-12 09:00:48

I think it's a beautiful name but if your other DDs have more 'common' names (nothing wrong with that, so does my DD) then I would probably choose something a little more like their names as otherwise it mightn't 'fit' IYSWIM

Also, when they get older the others might wonder why DD3 got the more unusual name.

Do either of the other two on your list fit better with your other DDs' names? Both of those seem more down to earth.

WinkyWinkola Sun 04-Nov-12 09:04:38

Pretentious in what way exactly?

notnowImreading Sun 04-Nov-12 09:05:48

It's lovely as long as there's no way your surname could make it funny with I-feel-ya... jokes, e.g. Bum or suchlike.

HappyTurquoise Sun 04-Nov-12 09:05:51

Ophelia is pretty until you think about the Hamlet character going mad and killing herself. As there is a bit of a history of mental illness and depression in my family mix (a couple of suicides and bipolar) I wouldn't use that name and would think parents using it were...odd.

Hassled Sun 04-Nov-12 09:05:59

Ophelia does sound pretentious. Also - she went completely mad and drowned herself. Not really the sort of association you want.

Dora and Juno are nice.

PosieParker Sun 04-Nov-12 09:07:37

I don't think it's pretentious, it is a name afterall. But the scope for teasing is immense.

MrsWolowitz Sun 04-Nov-12 09:07:59

RTchoke Sun 04-Nov-12 09:15:01

It's true that the Hamlet tale is very sad. For me personally it has happy connotations as my late mother played Ophelia as her first big role as an actress. I appreciate nobody else would know that.

I find naming children very hard! I expect my nerves will set in and we will end up with something much more normal.

Nancy66 Sun 04-Nov-12 09:19:27

I know an Ophelia - and she had to endure endless

' Can i have Ophelia tits' style comments

MrsWolowitz Sun 04-Nov-12 09:20:10

OpheliaPayneAgain Sun 04-Nov-12 09:21:32

hmm

WinkyWinkola Sun 04-Nov-12 09:23:56

Associations with Juno aren't that great either.

Ophelia is a beautiful name.

You can find negative associations with every name and also reasons to tease over every name.

TidyDancer Sun 04-Nov-12 09:24:27

Ophelia is pretentious unfortunately, which really bothers me because I love the name and would love to use it.

conorsrockers Sun 04-Nov-12 09:25:55

Nancy grin.
I also think you'd regret it.
And it does sound a little pretentious.
Unless you put that on her birth certificate and then called her Lily or something smile

IsabelleRinging Sun 04-Nov-12 09:29:36

I know a little girl called Ophelia, I don't like it as it doesn't trip off the tongue easily enough for me, I always have to think about it too much first.

DoverBeach Sun 04-Nov-12 09:30:32

Other lovely Shakespearean names you might like, Juliet, Miranda, Cordelia, Viola, Portia, Olivia, Helena, Beatrice, Imogen, Rosaline.

QuickLookBusy Sun 04-Nov-12 09:31:55

Sorry but yes,it sounds pretentious.

Dora is lovely.

Cahoots Sun 04-Nov-12 09:34:19

It depends on your surname a bit
Ophelia Smitherton-Brown sounds more pretentious than Ophelia Jones
My maiden name is a bit ugly and harsh sounding so all my brothers DD's and I have pretty flowery names to even out the surname.

I actually like Ophelia. I like how it looks and sounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now