Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dalisay or Amilhan?

(6 Posts)
ManilaManila Sat 03-Nov-12 21:16:57

We definitely want a tagalog name (to reflect our heritage and because both sets of GPs don’t speak English) but we are a bit worried about nicknames. I would hate her to be called Ami or Dali at school! Do you think that either of these will get shortened?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 03-Nov-12 21:33:57

I think it's quite possible both names would be shortened but if she doesn't like it,she can tell people not to easily enough! I went to school with a fair few girls whose names are said to "always" be shortened and they weren't,because the girls in question didn't want them to be.

I think Dalisay sounds lovely (assuming I'm saying it correctly). What is your heritage,of you don't mind me asking?

MyPetMonsterAndMe Sun 04-Nov-12 00:32:27

I think it's possible that both would be shortened. The thing is, if she doesn't like the shortened version she can just tell people. Anyone who isn't a totally rude will then pronounce them like she wants them to. Or she might actually like the shorter versions, in which case it's nice to have options. As a teacher I always start with the name on my register and then ask children if they'd rather be known as another name. I would never shorten a name unless the child told me it was OK.

I think they are both nice, easy to pronounce by looking at them too (assuming I'm saying them right in my head). I do really like the sound of Dalisay, that would probably be my choice.

squoosh Sun 04-Nov-12 00:52:37

Does tagalog mean a name from the Phillipines or have I got that completely wrong?? I prefer Dalisay out of the two. Is it pronounced Dallas-ay? Nicknames and abbreviations are out of your hands once they start interacting with the wider world. But who cares what people outside the home call her (as long as it's said affectionately).

SrirachaGhoul Sun 04-Nov-12 01:05:17

Both are gorgeous. Don't worry about nicknames.

aufaniae Tue 06-Nov-12 09:45:25

Lovely names, both of them.

FWIW MIL deliberately gave DP a name which can't be shortened as she's not keen on NNs. When he was 10, his friends in school gave him a NN which was nothing to do with his given name, and which has stuck. Now, not only does he have a NN, only his closes friends know his real name, and only MIL actually uses it!

On the other hand I have a name which can be shortened two ways. My parents gave me my NN when I was little, which I use all the time now, I never use the more common NN for my name.

So, you might be able to influence NNs, but you can't bank on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now