Talk

Advanced search

Eliza, Louisa or Belle?

(19 Posts)
BonnieBlueButler Fri 02-Nov-12 15:23:48

I'm trying to distract myself from the misery of hyperemesis by thinking of girls' names for the baby. We don't know that is a girl, but it seems like an easier place to start as we don't agree on ANY names for boys.

So, we already have a Gracie Ann. Do any of the following fit?

Eliza Belle (I love Eliza as it was my Nan's name, DH doesn't like it though)
Louisa Belle
Or we are toying with just using Belle as the first name (can't think of any middle names we like for this yet though)

Just to say, that we don't have a problem with using a shortened/longer version of a name as a main name, hence Gracie and the liking of Belle.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

RightUpMyRue Fri 02-Nov-12 15:27:22

Louisa is one of my favourite names.

DottieRose Fri 02-Nov-12 16:37:38

Louisa Belle is very pretty but I also love Belle as a first name!

BonnieBlueButler Fri 02-Nov-12 16:53:12

Thanks both. I do really like Louisa. Belle is beautiful too, but not sure about middle names. We thought maybe Belle Katherine (sister's name).

SomersetONeil Fri 02-Nov-12 17:55:42

Louisa is lovely. Timeless and elegant.

BananaPhone Fri 02-Nov-12 18:24:32

Louisa. A very elegant name.

Belle is vile, the worst sort of Disney princess, lie-in-a-glass-coffin-and-concentrate-on-being-the-prettiest name.

Eliza is a perfectly nice name, but do you mind Liza as a NN? If so, I would perhaps advise against.

Look, anyway - Louisa. Really it is nicest of your choices by far. And it goes well with your eldest - 'Gracie and Louisa', see? So much nicer than 'Gracie and Eliza' or 'Gracie and It's Like Feminism Never Happened Belle'.

BonnieBlueButler Fri 02-Nov-12 18:38:53

BananaPhone, that made me laugh! God, I would hate anyone to have that impression of a daughter of mine.

Louisa and Gracie does sound nice.

My nan was always called Liza as a nickname. Prefer Eliza to Liza, but realise it would be shortened.

DizzyPurple Fri 02-Nov-12 18:38:59

Bit harsh banana seeing as OP does like all the names. Personally i like Eliza the best. Lots of possible variations too when she gets older. Louis yes quite pretty. Belle i dont really like to be honest. Fine for a child but not so much an adult name. Bella? Although everyone will think she's called Isabella then! Good luck.

BonnieBlueButler Fri 02-Nov-12 18:41:48

Thanks DizzyPurple. We did think of Bella but don't want to be seen as jumping on the 'Twilight' bandwagon, especially as I despise the character of Bella.

Plus, there are countless Isabellas and Bellas around here.

B1ueberryP1e Fri 02-Nov-12 18:43:06

Louisa (b ut I like the other two)

B1ueberryP1e Fri 02-Nov-12 18:43:48

I thnk belle and gracie go well together. same style. louisa and grace not quite so much the same style - if that matters.

Redballoonfan Fri 02-Nov-12 20:45:52

Louisa. A perfect name. It's beautiful, classy, underused and elegant.

stclair Fri 02-Nov-12 21:50:50

We've just named our baby Louisa Grace . . .

exoticfruits Fri 02-Nov-12 22:02:55

Love Louisa and Eliza but can't stand Belle.

VolumeOfACone Sat 03-Nov-12 13:12:56

I don't like Belle. The other two names are lovely though.

YuffieKisaragi Sat 03-Nov-12 14:06:20

Louisa, definitely.

mrsbugsywugsy Sat 03-Nov-12 14:12:02

Love Louisa

Gwennan Sat 03-Nov-12 14:54:20

Love Louisa & Eliza.

Belle is pretty but it sounds so weak and passive and I keep thinking of words that contain it such as doorbell, etc.

BonnieBlueButler Sat 03-Nov-12 16:16:23

Thanks everyone. Looks like Louisa is a clear winner. I do love it and it has the agreement of my DH, so all good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now