Talk

Advanced search

Philippa or Rosamund?

(25 Posts)
Ohmydarlin Fri 02-Nov-12 11:19:26

Can't decide which I prefer. Also struggling for middle names too so suggestions would be great. Thanks.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Nov-12 11:21:36

Philippa

Pochemuchka Fri 02-Nov-12 11:23:32

Of the two, Philippa definitely.

I like the nn Pippa too.

DottieRose Fri 02-Nov-12 12:19:24

Rosamund is gorgeous.....as for middle names

Rosamund Juno
Rosamund Bee
Rosamund Mary
Rosamund Elizabeth
Rosamund Kitty

Or you could choose a middle name after a dear family member!

Yika Fri 02-Nov-12 18:16:11

Both lovely, Philippa is very classy. Rosamund is romantic. Why not have them both and then the middle name problem is solved too.

NormanTheForeman Fri 02-Nov-12 18:19:41

Love Rosamund, love it even more spelled Rosamond.

Rosamund Jane, Rosamund Lucy, Rosamund Anne, Rosamund Mary all good.

HoratiaWinwood Fri 02-Nov-12 18:23:49

I know a Philippa who hates her name, and I adore Rosamund.

Partly I think Rosamund is more flexible. My Philippa objects to having been given "a man's name with a feminine ending" - she also dislikes Henrietta, Josephine, etc.

BananaPhone Fri 02-Nov-12 18:27:06

I like Rosamund a lot. BUT - do you object to Roz as a NN? Because that will happen, trust me.

Ohmydarlin Fri 02-Nov-12 18:43:25

Thank you for the replies. I'm still torn between the two. I suppose I'm not keen on Roz but we will use Rosie as a nickname (until she can decide for herself). If I could settle on a middle name it might make things easier. I don't like the two names together but I suppose Rose would work in the middle but it seems like such a default middle name.

Ohmydarlin Fri 02-Nov-12 18:44:53

Thank you for the replies. I'm still torn between the two. I suppose I'm not keen on Roz but we will use Rosie as a nickname (until she can decide for herself). If I could settle on a middle name it might make things easier. I don't like the two names together but I suppose Rose would work in the middle with Philippa but it seems like such a default middle name.

HoratiaWinwood Fri 02-Nov-12 18:57:04

Rose is a dull middle name. I think Rosie would avoid Ros/Roz which is a more mature name anyway.

BananaPhone Fri 02-Nov-12 18:57:22

I think it would be nice to have something less...^historical?^....as a middle name, to avoid it being to period drama-y. Something with a punchier, shorter, modern feel.

Rosamund Faye?

exoticfruits Fri 02-Nov-12 19:09:01

Rosamund, but then I like Ros as a shortened form. (much better than Pippa)

Redballoonfan Fri 02-Nov-12 20:39:17

both lovely but Rosamund as the edge I think. I like both Ros or Rosie as nicknames.

VolumeOfACone Sat 03-Nov-12 13:14:10

Love Rosamund.

scentednappyhag Sat 03-Nov-12 13:18:02

I like Philippa Rosamund Surname, flows nicely to my ear smile
I also love the nickname Pip.

Narked Sat 03-Nov-12 16:49:02

No. No, no, no, no, no. No. This is one of my names for future children. Call her Philippa instead.

squoosh Sat 03-Nov-12 17:30:53

Not Philippa. Weedy man's name with an 'a' tacked on at the end.

Allalonenow Sat 03-Nov-12 17:37:10

Rosamund
Rosamund Cassandra
Rosamund Imogen
Rosamund Felicity
Rosamund Verity

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 03-Nov-12 21:50:06

Oh Rosamund definitely! It's lovely!

The trouble with Philippa is it will make a lot of people think of Miss Middleton.

outtolunchagain Sat 03-Nov-12 22:04:42

One of these is my name and it doesn't begin with Rwink

I love it now it's very versatile , as a child I was usually called Pippin or my proper name at home and Pip by friends, at University I became Pippa but reverted to Phillippa at work . Now it's a mixture really.

The only downside is that it's a devil of a name to text!

Jansen Sat 03-Nov-12 23:23:44

My DN is a Philippa and is often called Pippi for short, which I wasn't sure of initially but as she grew into it I have fallen in love with it. I think it is a gorgeous name, but I am a bit biased.

Rosamund is quite unusual and I think it would be a really cute name for a little girl.

SLVC Sun 04-Nov-12 00:28:35

I agree with squish ^ plus Rosamund is beautiful. I vote Rosamund!

SLVC Sun 04-Nov-12 00:29:06

*sqoosh, sorry

BustersOfDoom Sun 04-Nov-12 00:44:16

Rosamund every time. I don't like feminine names made from male names even though I have one that is less obvious. It always seems to me that the parents had perhaps wanted a boy and had given the girl the closest feminine name - Stephanie, Davina, Philippa, Georgina, Daniella, Jamie, Adrienne, Josephine etc. But that's just me, I'm probably weird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now