Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We've finally agreed on names! And they are.....

(111 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:06:33

Joey Anthony

and

Bethany Megan

We've been trying to avoid too common or too modern, what do you all think? x

WitchesTit Thu 01-Nov-12 16:12:20

Joey is short for Joseph.

Joseph Anthony sounds......ok, I suppose.

Bethany Megan, same. A bit meh. Absolutely fine, If that's what you're after.

sausagesandwich34 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:14:31

your DC, you pick a name you are happy with -don't let people put you off

the are perfectly fine names, they will never have to spell them out well perhaps the Anthony with or without an H debate and if you and your DP like them then stick with them

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:19:12

WitchesTit

Neither of us like Joseph, hence us not going with that name. We like Joey and Joe, so don't mind if anyone shortens it. I can't imagine anyone lengthening the name...

Would you believe 'meh' was completely what we were going for with our girls name. So glad it fits the bill lol wink

LynetteScavo Thu 01-Nov-12 16:20:07

You really shouldn't ask people what they think...they might tell you.

If you both like them, then that's what's important.

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:21:11

sausagesandwich34

The only reason we're adding the H with Anthony is it's how my Grandpa's name was spelt, and he'll be named after him. grin

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:27:09

LynetteScavo

This is true, I'm not expecting everyone to love them. Maybe I got carried away making the post as we've spent the last four months battling it out and have finally reached a compromise. Won't be put off by any comments on here don't worry! grin

DontmindifIdo Thu 01-Nov-12 16:37:14

I do like Anthony, it's nice to give a middle name with a family connection. Although I agree that Joey is a little too much 'little boy' not 'grown up' - you might be better putting either Joe or Joseph on the birth cert but calling him Joey while he's a cute little boy.

Bethany is a lovely name, I assume she'll be Beth. That's very sweet and classic, won't date, although think about where you live and what accent people will have - will they say "Beth" or "Beff" - a friend with a DD called Beth finds it rather grating to hear the "ff" sound on the end of her DD's name. (If it won't bother you, go for it!!!).

crocodilesmiles Thu 01-Nov-12 16:53:48

FWIW, I love your names! smile x

Bethany wouldn't necessarily get shortened to Beth....I know someone who is always called Bethany - And I have a long name which I don't let others shorten either. Glad you've found your perfect names!

SirBoobAlot Thu 01-Nov-12 16:56:10

Think Joey is ridiculous, really. Joseph is lovely. Joe is blah. Joey... Well, I immediately start humming the Skippy theme tune.

Bethany is nice, I do prefer Bethan though.

Yama Thu 01-Nov-12 16:57:35

I like them both.

usualsuspect3 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:57:38

I prefer Joey or Joe to Joseph.

I like Bethany as well.

badtime Thu 01-Nov-12 16:58:00

Not a fan of Joey. If you don't like Joseph, what about Joel or Jonah?

I like Joey.

Bethany Megan is a bit ten years ago. And very meh. Sorry.

crocodilesmiles Thu 01-Nov-12 17:05:29

I don't really understand why Joey is being called ridiculous. Why does it sound too "little boy"? Surely it's not much different to having Jamie instead of James, or Louie instead of lewis.

Names like Alfie and Archie are very popular at the moment. Should they all be called Alfred and Archibald?! smile

LizLem0n Thu 01-Nov-12 17:34:04

Bethany won't get much love on this board but I love it. I only know of one in rl, I think it's really pretty. beth for short is beautiful. Bethany is a bible name I think.

Joey is ok. Joey ANthony is a lot of ee ee. But Joey is not a bad name. There aren't millions.

WitchesTit Thu 01-Nov-12 17:37:13

Good you're not put off, LuckyOwl. I do think its brave to ask the opinion of people on here of names that you've thought long about and decided upon, as opposed to sounding them out as possibilities.

Joey is definitely a diminutive of Joseph though and not a stand alone name so people will assume its Joseph anyway.

LizLem0n Thu 01-Nov-12 17:37:40

ps, stick with your names. They're both good names and you love them. This is a names board. YOu've invited people to tell you what they think and they've done that. Don't wobble! Actually, Joey is really nice. It's grown on me since I posted 3 minutes ago!

MamaMary Thu 01-Nov-12 17:38:24

What about JOEL?

Bethany Megan is fine.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 01-Nov-12 17:59:30

I would register as Joe and say Joey as your NN.
Bethany is a bit too like britney for my liking. Megan/meg is much nicer.

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 18:02:26

Wow, Joey has really split the board ! lol

I think it's cute and quirky without trying to hard. I can picture a baby, teen and adult with the name, however if he didn't think it suited him I'm sure he could drop it to Joe. We love the name that much it was almost going to be a unisex name for either boy or girl, so we won't be shaken on it. So your comments and suggestions are fine grin

Bethany Megan seems to be getting a 'fine' or 'meh', but one of the main reasons I like it is that although they seem standard names, neither or us know one Bethany or Megan (child or adult), so the name will feel unique to us in our circle of family and friends.

Thanks for all the comments, positive or negative - all interesting (although some a little 'meh') ;)

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 18:05:49

Regarding the suggestion of Joel - I liked, husband didn't but as we love Joey we've no need to consider an alternative now.

Also, I've never understood the concept of registering the baby with one name if you're intending to call it another. The name will be Joey, so that's what it will say on his birth certificate. If people assume his full name is Joseph, that's fine!

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 01-Nov-12 19:09:57

Both names are fine OP. I do struggle with the notion that you're going to call your son the abbreviated form of a name you don't like. Mostly because everyone will assume that's his name. I knew a Joe growing up,who was just Joe. I think Joe will age better personally.

crocodilsmiles isn't Louie a spelling variant of Louis (well,when it's being said correctly) it's nothing to do with Lewis?

LuckyOwl28 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:00:56

There are thousands of names popular in their own right now that derive from a much longer original name. Ben, Chris, Tom, Becky, Charlie, Alfie, Katie.... to name but a few smile

mathanxiety Thu 01-Nov-12 21:11:19

Also, I've never understood the concept of registering the baby with one name if you're intending to call it another. The name will be Joey, so that's what it will say on his birth certificate. If people assume his full name is Joseph, that's fine!

Whether you can imagine anyone lengthening it or not, Joseph would be the expected 'formal' name and a CV with Joey (or Joe) on it might not go down very well.

All of those names you mention are well known abbreviations and not all of them are acceptable as the 'formal' name. They are acceptable as fad or fashion names in some parts of the population here and now. They come across as very informal and not really acceptable for the purposes of formal activities like submitting a CV for serious consideration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now