Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Emmeline or Tabitha? Having a wobble...

(12 Posts)
darknessvisible Thu 01-Nov-12 13:13:09

I posted here recently about middle names to go with Emmeline having, as I thought, settled on that as a first name. I'm now having a second thoughts and am really attracted to the name Tabitha after having discounted it earlier. I think this relates, in part, to concerns I'm having about Emmeline: will people constantly mishear it for Emily (there's nothing wrong with Emily per se but it's not as special as Emmeline for me); is it too frilly? I really love Tabitha too but is it becoming very popular? DH is not entirely convinced about Tabitha but I might be able to persuade him...

Here are some possible combinations; I'd be so grateful for your thoughts!

Emmeline Viola
Emmeline Juno
Emmeline Cleo
Emmeline Margot

Tabitha Cleo
Tabitha Juno
Tabitha Margot

TwllBach Thu 01-Nov-12 13:15:20

Taaaaaaaabiiiiiiiithaaaaaaaaaaa grin

<chants do it do it do it!>

Doraemon Thu 01-Nov-12 13:27:02

We were veering towards Emmeline but I also felt the child would have to spend the rest of her life saying 'no it's not Emily it's EmmelINE'. So now we're on Rosemary instead.
Not sure about Tabitha, makes me think of cats although I have no idea why.

WingDefence Thu 01-Nov-12 13:28:22

On of my best friends is called Emmeline. I only ever knew her as Emma until I saw her full name on something official. It's not that she doesn't like her name (on the contrary) but it's just always been easier I think to be Emma.

I think it's a beautiful name BTW. And 'Tabby' as a shortened name is a bit too cat-like for me! grin

darknessvisible Thu 01-Nov-12 13:33:22

Thanks. I do like the 'Emmy' shortening of Emmeline and would be happy with that, I think.

I love cats, I have to say, so that association with Tabitha is no problem for me; in fact, it might be part of what's attracting me to it grin. I wanted to call DS Felix but it would have been horrendous with our last name so we went with Barnaby instead...

BrittaPerry Thu 01-Nov-12 13:35:03

Our Emmeline is Emmy, but she does get called all sorts.

It immediately endears her to feminists though :-)

WingDefence Thu 01-Nov-12 13:38:20

darkness I'm a cat lover too but it is your DD who will have to live with it!

darknessvisible Thu 01-Nov-12 13:40:02

Britta - that's a large part of what makes the name special for me (although Sylvia is my favourite Pankhurst grin)

darknessvisible Thu 01-Nov-12 13:41:24

Ha yes Wing, should perhaps have thought of it that way first blush

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 03-Nov-12 12:18:16

Adore Tabitha

FannyMinogue Sat 03-Nov-12 12:20:28

I like Emmeline. Its not as popular as Emily and has a great history.

Tabitha is a bit cutesy for my tastes.

Kelerina Sat 03-Nov-12 13:01:10

I like the middle name Margot with either Tabitha or Emmeline. Both have a lovely ring to them I think.

I am struggling to pick between Emmeline and Tabitha BUT if pushed I say go with Tabitha smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now